Mercury Mercruiser 350 mpi exhaust manifolds and risers. HELP!!

Marc2

Cadet
Hello All. Thanks for taking time to help.
What happens when exhaust manifolds or risers leak?

Anyone have any ideas for best prices on these in ft lauderdale/miami area? OEM parts. Is it worth going for aftermarket prices?

In checking around, everyone seems to say this engine has above average prices on parts. Any ideas why?

Manifold part #865735a02
Riser part# 864591t02

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Mercury Mercruiser 350 mpi exhaust manifolds and risers. HELP!!

Hello All. Thanks for taking time to help.
What happens when exhaust manifolds or risers leak?
Manifold part #865735a02
Riser part# 864591t02

Water goes into the exhaust side and makes its way into the cylinders . . . if yours are dry joint currently, then it will just leak on the manifold and not into the engine.

Osco and Barr are good quality aftermarket sources. I would avoid GLM.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hello Marc and welcome to iBoats....

Before we can go much further, please How to Ask a Question.... Please Read This Before Posting A Question...

Once we have the right information we can give you the right advise. At the moment we have no idea what manifolds you have. If they are the old 'wet-joint', then some of the aftermarket products will do the job. If they are the newer 'dry-joint', then you can only buy OEM.... I don't know who told you that the OEM parts price for THIS engine are above average... Merc make no distinction about who they rip-off. Their parts price it above average for ALL their engines. That's why I buy direct from the manufacturer when I can... That means GM for engine parts, Parker for trim pump parts, Hella for most of the electric parts... See the picture? Unfortunately some parts are only available form Merc... Exhaust manifolds (in my opinion) are one of those items. :(

Chris..........

Marc2

Cadet

Hello Marc and welcome to iBoats....

Before we can go much further, please How to Ask a Question.... Please Read This Before Posting A Question...

Once we have the right information we can give you the right advise. At the moment we have no idea what manifolds you have. If they are the old 'wet-joint', then some of the aftermarket products will do the job. If they are the newer 'dry-joint', then you can only buy OEM.... I don't know who told you that the OEM parts price for THIS engine are above average... Merc make no distinction about who they rip-off. Their parts price it above average for ALL their engines. That's why I buy direct from the manufacturer when I can... That means GM for engine parts, Parker for trim pump parts, Hella for most of the electric parts... See the picture? Unfortunately some parts are only available form Merc... Exhaust manifolds (in my opinion) are one of those items. :(

Chris..........

Thanks for the reply Chris and the heads up with my gay please!!
Currently have the dry joint with some corrosion present around it. 7 year old boat so is time to do. Maybe that's the answer to my question. Dry joint manifolds are pricier? What is the difference between dry and wet?
Thanks so much
Marc

achris

The old style elbows carry the water from the manifold through passages cast within the joint. This leaves the walls quite thin, and prone to corroding through, dumping water into the engine via the exhaust ports... The new dry-joint have solid wall joint areas and the water passes through via a casting that is external to the actually exhaust passage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Manifold-Dry joint.jpg
    Manifold-Dry joint.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Manifold-Wet joint.jpg
    Manifold-Wet joint.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2

Marc2

Cadet

Thank you very much for your help Chris. Much appreciated

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Water goes into the exhaust side and makes its way into the cylinders . . . if yours are dry joint currently, then it will just leak on the manifold and not into the engine.

Osco and Barr are good quality aftermarket sources. I would avoid GLM.
whats the reason to avoid GLM? Im about to get a new kit and GML are the cheapest!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They are the cheapest of the cheap offshore junk.

achris

whats the reason to avoid GLM? Im about to get a new kit and GML are the cheapest!

Manifolds and elbows are very much in the category of 'you get what you pay for'....