pre-alpha power trim fluid bleed

NWVintage

Seaman
I'm trying to remedy a stuck-in-the-up-postion issue with my 1978 pre-alpha sterndrive (SN 4924523). I need to know how to fill my power trim "reservoir". It is the "older style" metal box reservoir with which the pump appears to be integral. I would like to bleed the system and I am comfortable with the procedure other than the fact that I can't see where to replace lost fluid. I also don't have a manual, so if anyone can help with that situation, it would also be helpful.

The back story: My batteries went bad at the end of last season and thus the drive ended up staying in the up position all winter. Now I have new batteries and am getting things ready for the year but the drive won't go down.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: pre-alpha power trim fluid bleed

Ayuh,.... There's a slotted screw headed screw or 2 in the front of the housin' where ya add oil,...

If there's 2 screws, the other is the vent,...

Chances are, havin' a Heavy friend jumpin' on the drive, while the pump is run Down, will Fix yer issue,...

That's why ya should always tap the down button a few times, after runnin' the drive, Full Up,...

NWVintage

Seaman
Re: pre-alpha power trim fluid bleed

Ayuh,.... There's a slotted screw headed screw or 2 in the front of the housin' where ya add oil,...

If there's 2 screws, the other is the vent,...

Chances are, havin' a Heavy friend jumpin' on the drive, while the pump is run Down, will Fix yer issue,...

That's why ya should always tap the down button a few times, after runnin' the drive, Full Up,...

Thanks!

So, you don't think that it's worth investigating further? I had this same problem one time last year but it had only been sitting in the up position for a few days... I figured that there must be an additional issue.

Is that fluid worth changing just for the sake of having new fluid? I know it hasn't been done in many years but there are no leaks or anything (that I can find).

I do tap it down a couple times but maybe I'll do it a little further in the future.