Alpha l trim & tilt problem

gerhand44

Cadet
1986 Glassstream, 120 chev, alpha l. Getting my boat ready for the water after winter storage. I had the outdrive half way up in storage, and when I pushed the down button on the throtttle handle it did'nt move. I then used the trailering switch to run it all the way up and it went up. When I pushed to go down, it only went half way. When I pushed the up switch on the handle it did not move. Only the down switch on the handle and the trailering switch work for half way up and down. Can anyone tell me whats wrong and how to fix? Thanks, Jerry

87baja220sport

Recruit
Re: Alpha l trim & tilt problem

1986 Glassstream, 120 chev, alpha l. Getting my boat ready for the water after winter storage. I had the outdrive half way up in storage, and when I pushed the down button on the throtttle handle it did'nt move. I then used the trailering switch to run it all the way up and it went up. When I pushed to go down, it only went half way. When I pushed the up switch on the handle it did not move. Only the down switch on the handle and the trailering switch work for half way up and down. Can anyone tell me whats wrong and how to fix? Thanks, Jerry

Hey I have the very same problem on my 87 Baja 220 Sport with Alpha 1 and I had a tech tell me it could be something as simple as adding hydrolic fluid to the trim pump then bleeding the system. I'm gonna try that today and I'll let ya know if I had any luck.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you need it down you could pull the line at the trim pump and drain the fluid, this should let it go down. Is your trim motor running the whole time you try to go down? or does the motor stop at the same place as the outdrive?

87baja220sport

Recruit

]if you need it down you could pull the line at the trim pump and drain the fluid, this should let it go down. Is your trim motor running the whole time you try to go down? or does the motor stop at the same place as the outdrive?[/QUOTE]

In my case the trim pump continues to run but the alpha-1 unit will not continue to lower. I did not make it out to my boat yesterday to try any remedial methods but I'm heading there now. It is weird how we both have the identical problem,
but,collectively we can get this figured out, I'm sure.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For future reference, you really don't want to store your drive in anything but the lowered position.

If you're in an area that has the possibility of a freeze, the water trapped in the lower can potentially crack the housing.
No matter where you live, storing in a raised position puts a strain on the drive bellows, and could severely shorten its service life. As in, You'll end up with cracks, a soaked gimbal bearing, and water in your boat. I'm not sure which one of those is the worst. I'm gonna go with the soaked bearing, by the trouble it's taken me to try to change an old one.

87baja220sport

Recruit

I fixed the tilt problem on my Alpha 1 stern drive yesterday. First I checked the hydrolic fluid level it was a little low so I added some until the dipstick registered full that did not solve the issue so I removed the two hydrolic pistons and opened the collar nut on the stainless fluid tube nearest the propeller one at a time trying to compress the pistons they would not budge... I then got the idea to loop a ratcheting cargo strap through the eyes on each end and ratchet them tight to compress the trim cylinders while bleeding off the fluid loosening the a fore mentioned collars until they compressed within one inch of the paint line on the shaft tightening the collar then releasing the ratchet strap. (be careful that both cylinders are evenly compressed) I then greased all the grease fittings on the gimbal and greased the bolts that run through the lower unit to hold the trim pistons in place. I again checked the hyrdolic fluid level and refilled the reservoir. I then gave the trim toggle the old college try and viola!!! It Worked raising and lowering the stern drive through it's full range of motion! Yippeee! I celebrated the $400.00 + savings by buying a pizza for my family
My next project is a chrome and carbon fiber vinyl hull wrap this weekend.
:devilish: