Thru Hull... sure is loud

KirkDarch

Cadet
Situation: I currently have a thru hull exhaust on my boat, it was never a problem when I was puling the boat from lake to lake but now I have a cottage and the noise is not making me any friends (everyone I talk to start out with... you are the new guy with the fast boat… that thing sure is loud).

Question: Is there a fix / or a kit I can buy to divert all of the exhaust via the leg or should I purchase a system like captains call… or is there a similar system that is cheaper.

Engine: Merc 5.0 MPI

Boat: 2005 Baja Islander 202

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thru Hull... sure is loud

Situation: I currently have a thru hull exhaust on my boat, it was never a problem when I was puling the boat from lake to lake but now I have a cottage and the noise is not making me any friends (everyone I talk to start out with... you are the new guy with the fast boat? that thing sure is loud).

Question: Is there a fix / or a kit I can buy to divert all of the exhaust via the leg or should I purchase a system like captains call? or is there a similar system that is cheaper.

Engine: Merc 5.0 MPI

Boat: 2005 Baja Islander 202

I can't help you with that, only to say that people on smaller lakes enjoy the peace & quiet, after listening to traffic and city noise all week the serenity of a cottage is what they are looking for.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Captain's Call without question. Then you have the option to run it either way.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Captains call .......About $1200 to $1500 hundred bucks!

You will have to check and see if the Y-pipe is still in your boat to install the Captains Call...If not then you gota pull the motor to install the Y.

They do make some Muffler set up's.... If you have the room.....Goggle it!

KirkDarch

Cadet

After goggling it there appears to be two key options from what I can see:

1. An electric diverter system like Captains call or Silent Choice (1800-2500) with the Y pipe and I need to pull the engine; or
2. A Transom Mounted Muffler (350-750).

Just to clear things up it is only a 5.0L engine (260HP) I am not looking to maintain some form of performance advantage and would prefer if the boat was completely silent… so I am not looking at turning the thru hull back on (It just came with the boat). And I am not independently wealth so 2500 and puling the engine is probably a no go for me and my wife would make me sell the boat and buy a more “lake friendly” one. I do however love the boat I have and while I might be able to find one that I like more it would certainly be well outside of my price range.

So besides transom mounted muffler systems is there anything else I should look at (any options that I have not considered) and is there anyone out there who can recommend a muffler system?

haulnazz15

Captain

Yeah, first/best option is Captain's Call so that you have the option to run it however you please. Second best option is to get some muffled exhaust tips to at least lower the volume a little. You can normally find some used Captain's Call stuff from boat yards or eBay for much cheaper. The bad part about thru-hull exhaust is it's very difficult to get rid of it permanently as you sort of have two 3" holes in the back of the boat.

A final solution might be some sort of external exhaust pipe that brings the exhaust back underwater. Lots of inboard guys (wakeboards/slalom boats) use them to help reduce exhaust fumes directly behind the boat for wake surfing. You might be able to make something custom similar to this: http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

Slip Away

Lieutenant

For resale, it would not be a strong selling point to have mufflers on a Baja. If the CC is out of budget, I think you would be better off trading the Baja for something else with underwater exhaust. You will be glad you did.

KirkDarch

Cadet

Lots of inboard guys (wakeboards/slalom boats) use them to help reduce exhaust fumes directly behind the boat for wake surfing. You might be able to make something custom similar to this: Fresh Air Exhaust reduces boat exhaust noise and carbon monoxide

I can see it working with an inboard, but I cannot envision how it would work with my leg and prop right there, even if I went with a double system and tried to keep them well to the outside of the boat, I think they would look like hell and more than likely rip off unless I secured them all down the transom (and I don’t really want a million holes in there)... I think I am leaning towards the transom mount mufflers.

emilsr

Our '07 model 202 had Corsa's Quick and Quiet II exhaust; both thru transom and thru prop (unswitchable). I bet yours has the same thing. Converting this to a switchable system is relatively easy since the bullhorn is already installed. You just need to swap the unswitchable diverters for switchable ones....about $1000 for the parts (new). Buying eBay (used) diverters is problematic as the solenoids changed over the years and not all of the older style replacement parts and electrical hookups are available for a retrofit. I was going to do this but ended up trading the boat (for something louder and faster :facepalm:)

Do you have the baffled tips? That's what came from the factory; and if someone before you swapped them out for open tips (most do....I did) you could swap them back and cut the sound level. That'd be the cheapest/easiest "fix".

I miss that boat; we had a lot of fun with it.

Attachments

• Baja202_1.JPG
    Baja202_1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

I can see it working with an inboard, but I cannot envision how it would work with my leg and prop right there, even if I went with a double system and tried to keep them well to the outside of the boat, I think they would look like hell and more than likely rip off unless I secured them all down the transom (and I don’t really want a million holes in there)... I think I am leaning towards the transom mount mufflers.

Ayuh,... Have ya Looked to see if the Y-pipe is still there, or was it removed,..??

Simplest way out is to go back to the factory Y-pipe arrangement,...

It'll Always be LOUD, til ya get the exhaust tips, Underwater,...

emilsr

A word of caution about switchable exhaust; it's not legal in some states.

It isn't legal in NM where we do most of our boating now, but since I already had the system I kept it (and use it). Nobody seems to complain when we route the exhaust through the prop around the docks, but that doesn't make it "legal". If it isn't legal in your state I'm not sure I'd go through the time and expense of installing it.

IF you were to eliminate the through transom part of the system you'd need to either fill the holes in the transom or find some way to block them off so water doesn't enter the engine compartment. Nobody is going to like this when you sell your boat.

Again, the cheapest/easiest fix is just to replace the tips....either with baffled (quiet) or muffled (quieter) tips. The baffled ones are dirt cheap on eBay since so many folks replace them with open (loud) tips. Good muffled tips will put a dent in your checkbook.

One other option; turndowns. That'll get the exhaust under the water but only at idle. They're ugly and expensive too.

Gibson Marine - Performance Marine Mufflers

haulnazz15

Captain

That's what I meant by making it custom to have two outlet pipes running straight down, not joined like in the link. I don't think you would rip them off, besides, you only need them to be in the water while at idle/slow speeds. Once you get on plane and the boat "lifts up" a few inches out of the water, you don't need to have the tips in the water at that point unless you just want it quiet even when you're away from the neighbors running down the lake.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... Once you get on plane and the boat "lifts up" a few inches out of the water, you don't need to have the tips in the water at that point unless you just want it quiet even when you're away from the neighbors running down the lake.

With that set-up you'll still be LOUD at 5 miles away! Un-muffled boat engine exhaust carries across the water like you wouldn't believe...

Just to clear things up it is only a 5.0L engine (260HP) I am not looking to maintain some form of performance advantage and would prefer if the boat was completely silent…

Common myth... That thru hull exhaust improves performance... It doesn't. There is no measurable improvement between standard and thru-hull.... The ONLY reason ....EDIT..... put thru-hull in is for the noise....

To get back to a quiet exhaust... If the Y-pipe is still in place... Re-connect to it and plug the hull holes. If the Y-pipe's gone, pull the engine and fit one.

Chris......

Last edited by a moderator:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I too made the mistake of installing thru-hull exhaust??.I blame my 23 yr. old son for this! Way to loud for my liking!
First you need to look and see if you have the Y-Pipe??.If not your S.O.L.

I did find some mufflers that slide into your rubber exhaust tube before it goes thru the transom to the tips. They were a lot cheaper than the Corsa ones?? Cant remember the name of the product? but did online search for Inboards and it came up.

Any way here is what I had to do. And it is sooooo...much quiter than with them straight open. Granted I teach at a facility that I could make them. I call them Po Man's Captain Call's

IMG_6415.jpgIMG_6710.jpgIMG_8551.jpg0511131700.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

I plan on converting to thru-hull exhaust on my 300SS . . . but to avoid becoming an idiot. I also plan on building a "silent thunder" style extended platform to muffle the noise. It worked great on my F-242SS . . . not sure why Formula got rid of it :noidea:

haulnazz15

Captain

With that set-up you'll still be LOUD at 5 miles away! Un-muffled boat engine exhaust carries across the water like you wouldn't believe...
Chris......

I'm well aware of what an un-muffled engine sound like on the water. I've been around everything from the lowly SBC on a runabout to triple-engine Cigarettes on the water. Obviously the sound isn't for everyone, but I don't normally hear too many complaints on the lakes I frequent, usually everyone just stops to admire/enjoy the sound of a big-block doing what it does. I can't remember anyone complaining about the noise of a boat a mile away. Sure, you can make out the distinct sound of a thru-hull exhaust, but the intensity is usually pretty low to where it isn't a "nuisance" to those onshore. In the end, it's to each their own.

The OP didn't say HE didn't like the sound, he said that his neighbors were a bit miffed. A modified exhaust like Captain's Call or what I suggested would appease the neighbors when he is nearby, but allow him to hear it when away from the dock.

KirkDarch

Cadet

So I checked and I do in fact have the Y pipe and the Corsa's Quick and Quiet II exhaust setup, with 2 x 6" baffled mufflers mounted on the hull. Well it is still not sufficiently quiet for my wife and the 'neighbours (well right now it is because there is no engine, but hopefully that will be resolved shortly). So should I cut the Y pipe and weld on a blocker plate or can I just spray foam the two exhausts (or something else) and force all the exhaust out the leg?

tpenfield

Staff member

So I checked and I do in fact have the Y pipe and the Corsa's Quick and Quiet II exhaust setup, with 2 x 6" baffled mufflers mounted on the hull. Well it is still not sufficiently quiet for my wife and the 'neighbours (well right now it is because there is no engine, but hopefully that will be resolved shortly). So should I cut the Y pipe and weld on a blocker plate or can I just spray foam the two exhausts (or something else) and force all the exhaust out the leg?

Yea, foam spray into the exhaust pipe(s) . . . not a good idea. Do you know for a fact that the passage down to and out thru the outdrive (leg) is open and operational? Also with a quick & quiet setup, there is often a diverter in the Y pipe, which could do the trick as is.

emilsr

Ixnay on the spray foam....

You've already got the baffled tips, so the only thing now is to get the exhaust completely under water.

Replacing the diverter with an elbow straight into the bullhorn will route the exhaust out the prop. That part is pretty easy. That'll leave you with 2 big holes in the transom to deal with....to me that's the more difficult aspect of the change.