Can I flush my I/O Engine After Use If It stays Moored in Saltwater?

moe1279

Recruit
Hi,

I'm new to I/O engines, coming from an outboard. I used to hook up a garden hose with my outboard tilted up to flush it out after a fishing trip. Can this process be done on an I/O that stays docked in saltwater? If so, can someone point me where to find information on how to do this?

Many Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I flush my I/O Engine After Use If It stays Moored in Saltwater?

DO NOT run the engine with the drive tilted all the way up.

What drive do you have?

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat lives on a dry stack. It's raw water cooled so unlike a majority of boat wonders around here I DO choose to flush my engine after use. I do it while its still sitting on the water so the engines still hot, and the thermstat will open allowing a more complete flush. I looked into installing a series of plumbing fittings and taps upstream of the powersteering cooler which would allow a fresh water hose to be connected and the sea water shut off. In the end I went away from the idea and now I just tilt the drive up, slip a set of flush muffs on while standing on the swim platform, trim drive down, run engine for about ten minutes (I hold my hand on the thermostat housing and feel for two complete opening cycles). Job done. Yes, it is a it of faffing around at the end of each trip, but I figure its worth it in the long run? I also added an extension piece of hose to my muffs which allow me to connect a Salt-away dispenser to the process, which I can turn on and off from above water line.
Of course, the big variable here is whether or not you are able to reach over the back and fit the muffs to your drive?

As an aside, I asked the local on-site marine shop at the dry stack approximately how many of the boats here were raw water cooled? His guess was about 75% are, and probably only about 10% of those bother to flush. But then I guess virtually all boats in the marina births that are raw water cooled don't get flushed?

tpenfield

Staff member

Slip or mooring . . . ??? If you have a slip, then you will have (hopefully) good access to fresh water supply. If moored, then you will need to have the supply of fresh water on the boat.

You will need to have the fresh water flush adapter/kit on your engine . . . probably need the serial number, etc to get the right thing.

I just the flush kits off of my engines as I converted to closed cooling.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With an engine mounted raw water pump, you can do it quite easily.
Just tee into the pump inlet hose with a short piece of hose to get it up where you can get too it. Then put a fitting on the hose you can hook a garden hose to. Start the engine and let it idle and the hose will flush the engine.
You have to keep it at idle, or it could suck water in through the drive too.
This will show you how Volvo does it. The parts circled in red is the flush hose parts.
The most important part about the hose, is that it can not have air leaks, or the pump will suck air and you will get an overheat.

Flush hose.jpg

Seawater Pump And Hoses 5.7Gi-G, 5.7GXi-H - 7746190 - Volvo Penta

moe1279

Recruit

Slip or mooring . . . ??? If you have a slip, then you will have (hopefully) good access to fresh water supply. If moored, then you will need to have the supply of fresh water on the boat.

You will need to have the fresh water flush adapter/kit on your engine . . . probably need the serial number, etc to get the right thing.

I just the flush kits off of my engines as I converted to closed cooling.

It is a boat slip. I could probably get access to use the muffs.

Let me ask this, is it worth having someone install this flush kit on the engine if the engine is 10 years old and probably was never flushed by the previous owner?

And how much would something like this cost to have installed?

Many Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member

It can't hurt, but it may not help.

if you can reach down and get a set of muffs on the outdrive, then you have wicked long arms . . .

i don't think the flush kits are expensive. I got 1 that you an have. Not 100% sure it will fit. PM me if you want.

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you can reach down and get a set of muffs on the outdrive, then you have wicked long arms . . ..

Na, just a low swim platform :)