unknown piece fell while removing out drive

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
while removing my outdrive for the first time, an unknown piece fell out, i believe it goes in the exhaust area, its a water something or other. any how, does the gimbal housing need to be removed in order to access the lower exhaust so I can replace it? or should I be able to to reach it from the inside? its #6 when your looking at the exhaust breakdown for an alpha one gen 1 mercruiser.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: unknown piece fell while removing out drive

What engine do you have? It's called a shutter, and sometimes the flapper.

The gimbal bearing is in a completely different section and has nothing to do with the exhaust.
The shutters get replaced from inside the boat, so it depends on what engine and year you have as to where exactly they are.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

does the gimbal housing need to be removed in order to access the lower exhaust so I can replace it?.

No. It is replaced from inside the boat, procedure depends on what engine you have.

tpenfield

Staff member

Where did the piece fall? What does it look like? Perhaps the remnants of an exhaust shutter? Got pics?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok yes, it does look exactly like a shutter. I have an 87 four winns freedom 160 which has a mercruiser 3.0 litre in it

Don S

Remove the exhaust elbow from the manifold. Pull off the exhaust hoses, and the shutters are at the top of the exhaust pipe that hooks to the transom shield.

Don S

There are two designs, not sure which one you have.

New design.jpg old design.jpg

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh, wow, Thanks for the quick response Don S. i'm glad I wont have to remove anything further, cause I just checked my gimbal bearing and it seems like its in good condition. it moves freely and there is no play in it. Hey should I remove the grease that's in there and apply new grease?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

... i'm glad I wont have to remove anything further.....should I remove the grease that's in there and apply new grease?

You should still remove what Don listed in post #7 above and replace with the parts in post #8.

Yes, remove the old grease and pump in new until you see good grease showing up.

Mark

fishrdan

Admiral

motor boater, fill the guys in on what happened, so they can help trouble-shoot everything and get your boat back in tip-top shape.

The remnants of the shutter look pretty toasty, all the rubber is gone.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

motor boater, fill the guys in on what happened, so they can help trouble-shoot everything and get your boat back in tip-top shape.

The remnants of the shutter look pretty toasty, all the rubber is gone.

ok, My boat overheated over the memorial day weekend, I have not serviced it in the last 2 1/2 years since I purchased it, and I don't know when the previous owner last serviced it. I know I know, i'm an idiot you don't have to tell me, I've already been kicking my own a** about it lol.

so I have removed my outdrive to take a look at and change the impeller and housing. due to the overheating, people on this forum have suggested I look at the gimbal bearings and bellows as well.

You should still remove what Don listed in post #7 above and replace with the parts in post #8.

Yes, remove the old grease and pump in new until you see good grease showing up.

Mark

you said pump new grease???

1. do I do this through the grease valve on the gimbal ring/housing?? (don't remember which has the grease fill valve, I know one of them does).

2. also the u joint has a grease fill valve on it. how much grease should I put in there? and of what kind??

3.and when you say remove the old grease, you do mean clean the grease out of the gimbal bellow right?

fishrdan

Admiral

ok, My boat overheated over the memorial day weekend

I know I know, i'm an idiot you don't have to tell me, I've already been kicking my own a** about it lol.

so I have removed my outdrive to take a look at and change the impeller and housing. due to the overheating, people on this forum have suggested I look at the gimbal bearings and bellows as well.

you said pump new grease???

1. do I do this through the grease valve on the gimbal ring/housing?? (don't remember which has the grease fill valve, I know one of them does).

2. also the u joint has a grease fill valve on it. how much grease should I put in there? and of what kind??

3.and when you say remove the old grease, you do mean clean the grease out of the gimbal bellow right?

I was wanting you to mention that it overheated to the point of having smoke coming out of the engine compartment as you mentioned in the LK Mead thread. More things will need to be checked/replaced due to smoking, opposed to just the temp gauge getting high.

Don't beat yourself up too bad as we all have made mistakes, life lesson type of deal, I've been there too... :facepalm:

Greasing the gimble bearing is done from the zerk on the side of the gimble housing. Pump grease until it comes out a bit, then wipe off the excess. Plain old marine grease is fine, green stuff available at Walmart, Autozone, etc.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Greasing the gimble bearing is done from the zerk on the side of the gimble housing. Pump grease until it comes out a bit, then wipe off the excess. Plain old marine grease is fine, green stuff available at Walmart, Autozone, etc.

so I should wipe the bearing as well as the bellow? is all the grease in the bellow in front of the gimble bearing, the same grease that comes off of the gimble bearing itself? cause there is a lot of greas where it appears the ujoint would be suspended.

oh, yeah and about how bad the overheat was, it smoked pretty bad to the point where I thought it was on fire. I got everyone safely off of the boat and pulled the fire extinguisher off of its holder. opened the engine compartment expecting flames. and POOF, just a cloud of smoke. it cooled down after a while and I did start it back up and it started fine. I ended up driving it back half way to the marina and was towed the rest of the way FML.

so I just removed the exhaust bellows. they look like the remains of a burnt marshmallow when you leave it in the fire for a year (over exaggeration) lol. they are pretty crunchy, so I'm heading to the boat shop now to buy new ones.

so how much greas goes into the u joint through the "zerk" lol (didn't know that's what it was called, had to google that word :facepalm:)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...oh, yeah and about how bad the overheat was, it smoked pretty bad to the point where I thought it was on fire. ...

so I just removed the exhaust bellows. they look like the remains of a burnt marshmallow when you leave it in the fire for a year (over exaggeration) lol. they are pretty crunchy, so I'm heading to the boat shop now to buy new ones. ...

Ok.. with that much hot exhaust gas in the chamber in the drive, I can't see the water pocket cover going unscathed...

Read this -> http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...s/im-running-hot-help-556903.html#post3825409

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres a list of things i'm on my way to buy in about an hour

water pocket cover (THANK YOU SOOO MUCH achris, I almost forgot)
lower unit oil
engine oil
engine oil filter

thermostat
larger water hose

grease for spline
marine grease for u joints and gimbal houseing
imperllar kit with houseing
exhaust water shutter

exhaust bellows LOWER IS A MUST

UPPER BELLOW not so much but should be replaced

achris, I see an exploded view for the water pocket cover, is this the right one? and is it really that difficult to change? will I need any special tools or anything?

http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser-St...6714882--session_id.073114385--view_id.272967

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Let us know how it goes with that water pocket cover. I am always interested in how that removal goes, because it can be quite tricky and can go south on you if the bolt(s) break. Be careful! Can you post pictures of how it looks now?

Here is a pretty good recent thread showing a severely damaged water pocket cover that was successfully removed/replaced... Good info.
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...rives/newbie-disaster-first-day-603607-2.html

Also....A bellows always ends with an "s" (even just one)... "Bellow" is the sound you make when you have to change it!:laugh: (yes...you can google that, too!)

Not sure what you mean by exhaust bellows LOWER IS A MUST. There is only one exhaust bellows. Then there is the Drive Bellows (with the U-joints in it) and the shift cable bellows....
Have fun! Lots of fun work ahead...

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lol, that's funny. Well I'm referring to the rubber sleeve that goes around it. what is that part called? Any specific name? Or just sleeve?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Lol, that's funny. Well I'm referring to the rubber sleeve that goes around it. what is that part called? Any specific name? Or just sleeve?
Best to snap a few photos and point to what you are talking about when you're not sure of the terminology. The bellows is/are the accordian shaped rubber devices... I don't know about a rubber sleeve... Got a part number from the exploded drawing on mercruiserparts.com?