Mercruiser 4.3 V6 EFI won't start no injector pulse

Inancarrow

Cadet
Hi Guys, I have a problem with my 4.3 V6 Mercruiser engine. The engine is around the year 2000, and is the EFI model, with the full Delco EST ignition system, (not thunderbolt) and is running a MEFI 1 ECM
I recently replaced the WHOLE ignition system, everything, plugs, dizzy, leads, coil, module, THE LOT as I was having trouble with the ignition module under the dizzy that kept seaming to blow all the time.
Anyway the engine has been running great for prob 10 hours now with new system fitted, I used the boat at the weekend, ran great, pulled it out the sea and went to run it up to flush it through (wouldn't start) did a few checks, and basically its boiled down to the injectors not getting a signal to make them pulse during the cranking process.. if you pour fuel into the throttle body, engine fires up and once its fired, injectors kick in, engine runs all day, go to switch of and restart and nothing again..

I have checked all the normal stuff, fuel pressure, spark, fuel contamination, grounding faults, even pulled all the sensors but the problem stays the same.. if you short the injetors down to earth they fire just fine, (so this must be an injector signal fault right??)

Now I have read that the ecm has two modes of running, a cranking mode and an actual running mode, and this is controled again by the ignition module under the dizzy cap.. would anyone else say this could be the problem? I don't have a spare to check and they are expensive in the UK, so want to be sure before buying one.. any light shed would be gratefully recived.. Its just got me a little confused that the injectors wont fire when cranking but when running they are fine.
Thanks Guys

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 V6 EFI won't start no injector pulse

You need the serial number of your engine to get the proper information for repair. I doubt it's a MEFI 1 and still a 2000 engine.

Is it MPI or TBI?

Inancarrow

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 V6 EFI won't start no injector pulse

Ok, it maybe earlier than that then, it's defo a MEFI 1 though 100% and its defo EFI TBI (two injectors single point). I don't have the serial number as the plates missing, it as EST Delco ignition, surely what more info can the serial number give? If the serial nu,ber is cast into the block or somewhere else please let me know an I will try and find it.
Many thanks
Ian