Mercruiser Bravo Bellows Leak

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a boat, pulled the drive and found water in the bellows.

Is it physically possible for water to get enter the u-joint bellows from a leaking transom seal?

I know water can enter the bellows through a hole in the bellows, or filling the boat with water passed the transom waterline, but the bellows looks brand new on this boat, and the PO stated that it was replaced last year.

However i do see some strange cracks around the transom that lead me to some much larger issues that I am not wanting to get into here. Just want to know if it is physically possible for water to get enter the u-joint bellows from a leaking transom seal?

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Bravo Bellows Leak

You need a new bellows. If the engine compartment didn't fill up with water above the starter and the shaft going into the drive, then water didn't get in that way. Maybe the present one was installed incorrectly or damaged during installation, or the clamp was in the wrong place and put a hole in it.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don, ok, thanks. So guess the consensus is that there is no possible way for water to enter the bellows from a transom leak?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don, ok, thanks. So guess the consensus is that there is no possible way for water to enter the bellows from a transom leak?

Nope......