running rich/smoking on cold start

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine 0L078019
1998 MCM 4.3L 2bbl carb

new to me last season boat. I replaced all plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Last season it was running rich on start up, would get a cloud of black smoke and it would leave a residue on the boat. Otherwise ran great and has no issues. Last fall I pulled the carb and did a rebuilt, thorough cleaning, but the problem still exists. I've adjusted the idle to where is seems to run the best, but that made no difference on start up.

Choke appears to function properly.

I'm not sure what else to check. Its not stopping me from using it, but every morning on start up when heading out fishing, I get the black cloud and I know its not right, and I want it to be right.

would love some suggestions.

thanks,

FishHog

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: running rich/smoking on cold start

When you rebuilt the carb, how did you adjust the choke?

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

electric and I did not adjust the choke, just back to the stock position.
I guess I should adjust it leaner and see if that helps with my cold start issue. Kind of forgot it was adjustable until I read your question and check the manual again.

Is it simply a trial and error thing, or is there actually a adjustment procedure that I can't seem to find in the manual.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

most chokes are set to 1/8" gap at the pull off (wot engine not running)

after that trial and error, sounds like a little leaner would work fine for you seeing as how rich you are at start-up