Resealing Mercruiser Upper - Need to Recheck Rolling Torque?

rozicrc

Seaman
Hi,

I've got a 1987 Mercruser Alpha one MR that I have changed all the oil seals/bushings on short the two located in the upper outdrive housing. I am planning on replacing the two seals following disassembly. My question centers around needing to reshim/check rolling torque - if I am planning on reusingthe gears/bearings, do I need to recheck this as nothing should have changed? Thanks in advance for any advice here.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Resealing Mercruiser Upper - Need to Recheck Rolling Torque?

The shimming, no. That will not change. But the bearing preload is set by the nut you need to remove to get the bearing and gear pack apart to replace the seal. If you don't have a small inner spacer, you'll need to do the rolling torque to get it right again. (No, you can't just mark the nut and put it back there)... Thought I'd get in before anyone asks... If you DO have the small inner spacer, just torque the nut to 80 lb. ft. and you're done...

Chris.......

rozicrc

Seaman

I am sorry, I should have been more specific. I am referring to the two driveshaft oil seals that sit in the housing to seal the lower from the upper, not the oil seal sitting on the input shaft with u joints. I can't see a nut in the exploded diagram in the factory manual, this looks like a 45 minute job if I don't need to set bearing preload or rolling torque. These are #13/14 in the exploded diagram

dubs283

Vice Admiral

if you are not disassembling the driveshaft bearing/gear assy, you do not need to reset the rolling torque

be sure and pressure test the drive upon reassembly