Bad thermostat???

Old Don

Cadet
3L TKS. Went out today and all OK. Stopped for about 1/2 hour for lunch. Just drifted. Started back up OK. After about 15 minutes noticed the temp was only at 100 degrees. Always ran 160. Decided to head home about 5-6 miles, just in case, and temp never got above 110. Suspect that the thermostat went bad, but never thought it could go bad in the middle of the day. I will get a new thermostat, but is there anything else i should check?

Old Don

Cadet
Re: Bad thermostat???

Replaced the thermostat and it's fine now. Guess the spring or something went bad.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Same thing happend to me last season. Only I churned up some mud/sand from the bottom (very shallow spot at low tide). When I got home and removed what was brand new tstat and found silt and sand wedged in the tstat preventing it from closing all the way. When it does not close there is to much water flow and the engine never gets to operating temp to re open and clear the tstat. Cleaned it all out re assembled and ran right at normal temp on the muffs. I bet if you inspect the old tstat it is weged open with something. Just thought I would share my experience. Cool and windy here in nj today no boating this weekend. :-(

Old Don

Cadet

Thanks for the idea. I did churn up some mud getting over the sand bar between my dock and the lake. I'll check out the old Tstat.