Engine alignment after gimbal bearing install

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone.

I just replaced the gimbal bearing in my 1989 alpha one gen one. I cannot seem to get the bearing aligned. I have been using the alignment bar and this guide by Don:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ine-alignment-how-tos-443992.html#post2971085

The bar goes in all the way with a moderate amount of friction, and only gets witness marks on the top, not the bottom. Silly me, I didn't check alignment on the old bearing before it came out, and I don't know if this engine has ever been aligned.

I guess the question is, is it common to have to adjust the motor mounts after a bearing install, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all replies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine alignment after gimbal bearing install

I guess the question is, is it common to have to adjust the motor mounts after a bearing install, or am I doing something wrong?

Put the alignment bar in, then bump it with a mallet in up and down, and side to side. Then check it.
When was the last time you actually checked the alignment?

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Put the alignment bar in, then bump it with a mallet in up and down, and side to side. Then check it.
When was the last time you actually checked the alignment?

I have had the boat for 3 years and never checked the alignment (I know, bad on me). I bumped it several times in all directions with the mallet (while fully inserted) and it didn't seem to change anything.

Don S

I have had the boat for 3 years and never checked the alignment (I know, bad on me). I bumped it several times in all directions with the mallet (while fully inserted) and it didn't seem to change anything.

Then how do you know it was ok before you changed the bearing. You are a little off, fix it, then see what it's like next year. You could have a problem starting, but if you don't know how long it's been out, well...............

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Then how do you know it was ok before you changed the bearing. You are a little off, fix it, then see what it's like next year. You could have a problem starting, but if you don't know how long it's been out, well...............

Thats kind of what I was waiting for someone to say. Thanks. I'll follow the procedure to adjust the mounts and see what happens.

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Aligned the engine. Moved the front mounts down about 3 turns. Looks good now. Thanks for nudging me to do the right thing.

Don S

Ok, now you have a base line to compare this fall during winterization. If it's off again, there is something going wrong.