[resolved] white/green wire grounding issue

zang8027

Seaman
As some of you know, I replaced a bad gray tach wire from the Ign Coil (-) to the tach. When that was done, the white/green kill switch wire was no longer mated to the gray tach wire. So i ran a brand new size 14 wire from the killswitch to the (-) coil.

Now when I touch the w/g wire to the coil (-), it stalls. It starts fine without that wire but as soon as I touch w/g to (-) on coil, it sparks and dies.

Current:
CurrentSetup.jpg

Now that i think about it.. it shouldnt be grounded until switch is hit right? We checked the switch for continuity and it didnt beep till button was hit. Therefore the circuit was broke until it was hit (sounds right). Could it be the switch you think?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: white/green wire grounding issue

You have to be careful which side of the terminal block you hook the green wire to. The side of the terminal block with the screw that holds it to the plate is the Black wire (Ground) the green wire MUST be on the terminals that does not touch the shift plate.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

zang8027

Seaman

You have to be careful which side of the terminal block you hook the green wire to. The side of the terminal block with the screw that holds it to the plate is the Black wire (Ground) the green wire MUST be on the terminals that does not touch the shift plate.

attachment.php

Resolved! Thank you again! As you can tell my boats got some wiring issues. Should be good now.

Don S

Re: [resolved] white/green wire grounding issue

I know you say "Resolved", but what was the problem, wrong terminal?

zang8027

Seaman

Yes wire was backwards. White/green was on the screw going into the side of the engine which was why it grounded. Swapped em around to match your picture.

Don S

Great, now others will know what to look for if they read this thread.

Thanks.