89 225

tankspy

Recruit
hows it going everyone thanks for looking, i have a 89 sea ray with a 225 merc. last year i dealt with it not wanting to start so i would just jump it at the starter until winter and i could fix it. This problem isn't all the time, i can go out run it all day and its fine, starting on and off. but then randomly it wont start no clicking etc. so i put a new starter on over the winter and i have ran it a few times this year, and was out all day yesterday running here and there looking for campsite on a island no problems started every time. Woke up this morning to take the wife to the dock to go to work and nodda. i figured i would load it up and bring it to the house while shes working. before you ask did it start once i had it on the trailer YES cranked it before leaving the ramp and started right up. i have also replaced the switch, batt terms are clean and fresh

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 89 225

Since it's not clicking at all, it sounds like you may have a neutral safety switch loose or out of adjustment, or the cable is worn moving where neutral is. Does is crank if you wiggle the throttle handle?

Could also be loose or corroded connections somewhere. Here is the basic testing procedure the next time it won't start.

View attachment Troubleshooting a mercruiser Starting system rev2.pdf

tankspy

Recruit

Since it's not clicking at all, it sounds like you may have a neutral safety switch loose or out of adjustment, or the cable is worn moving where neutral is. Does is crank if you wiggle the throttle handle?

Could also be loose or corroded connections somewhere. Here is the basic testing procedure the next time it won't start.

View attachment 195356

that's what i was thinking, but i can wiggle and move the throttle handle nothing happens. last year we pulled into the marina to get gas it wouldn't start then after about 10 min it fired up as if nothing was wrong. check the ground to the motor just now, seems tight.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If not the neutral safety, then follow the chart the next time it won't start and find out what the problem is.