Mercruiser 898 outdrive rusty questions!

RinkerTinker

Seaman Apprentice
Hey iBoats! I've been preoccupied with college for awhile, but have finally gotten back to my boat project. I hit a standstill when I noticed my engine sinking down on the alternator mount against the deck. With further inspection, plus the standard terrible foam removal process, I realized the front right engine mount was the culprit due to the rotten wood under it. The goal now is to take out the engine in order to get the floor removed and start from the bottom up. When I removed my outdrive I found that the gears were rusted on the outside but not too bad on the inside. I read that if you see any brown than its done for because it will continue to wear down! how quick would this happen? Would it not be possible to clean or even sandblast the outer gears? I plan on having them off the boat for awhile on the stand. While in the garage, should I keep them greased or clean the pieces? I've got a low budget due to the outrageous price of college! Thanks for any help as always! I'll attach pics! -JP-
IMG_0426.jpgIMG_0434.jpgIMG_0427.jpgIMG_0437.jpg

Re: Mercruiser 898 outdrive rusty questions!

Those are not outer gears, the 3rd picture is of the U-joints and they're toast. The first picture shows the gimbal bearing still attached to the shaft... and it is also toast.
You got water in the bellows, and there shouldn't have been.
So I would look for a cracked bellows, if so those will also have to be replaced. Unless you had a couple feet of water in the boat and it got in there from the boat side.

The gear lube looks nice and clean so that's good.

You have a little work there on your hands but not too bad.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

new u-joints, gimble bearing, full bellows job - probably reseal on the drive upper half, water pump , that gets ya started on the drive n transom stuff

RinkerTinker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! That is what I figured would have to be done. It will be slow going with this over the summer after checking the prices for this fix. So are those pieces really trash? Is there nothing that can be done with them other than throwing them away?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks! That is what I figured would have to be done. It will be slow going with this over the summer after checking the prices for this fix. So are those pieces really trash? Is there nothing that can be done with them other than throwing them away?

Ayuh,... The u-joints can be replaced in the double-cardan joint, the input yoke in the drive needs replacin', as the sealin' surface is no doubt rusted beyond help...

'n of course, the gimbel bearin' is Trashed... looks to be rusted Solid...