Alpha 1 Trim Cylinder Anchor Pin Lube

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I removed the anchor pin from the aft end of the power trim cylinders so that I could move them while painting the drive. The pin was somewhat difficult to remove and I'd like to lube it before reinstalling it. Is this acceptable? The Mercrusier manual doesn't address it. if it's OK, what lubricate do you recommend? WD-40? 2-4-C?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha 1 Trim Cylinder Anchor Pin Lube

wd-40 works fine, i do it all the time

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also take some of that really fine emery paper/cloth and use that on those pins to help smooth them out first before putting on some grease.

Mark

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any good grease, Do Not use neversieze, it turns rock hard in salt water and you will never get the pin out again.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

No need for anything. That's a 316L stainless steel pin running through 'plastic' bushes. The reason they can be hard to remove is because of the build-up of mineral salts on it while in the water, and nothing short of having it teflon coated will stop that.

The best thing to do is remove it once a year for a clean with a bit of fine emery....

Chris........

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input. The pin as removed was clean and smooth. I used a little grease during reinstallation. Those bushings are TIGHT.