Motor noise coming from timing cover.

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1983 Mercruiser 120 hp 151 cid. Motor was rebuilt and sat for a year before it was installed. Boat runs great but a noise is coming from the timing cover. Removed motor and took off timing cover. Cam shaft gear is scraping the cover in about a 3/8" area at the end of the cam gear teeth. Cam gear is flush on the cam. The gasket was a paper gasket. Was this the right gasket? Should it have been a cork gasket to shim the cover out? What else can I look for? Thanks in advance.

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Motor noise coming from timing cover.

1983 Mercruiser 120 hp 151 cid. Motor was rebuilt and sat for a year before it was installed. Boat runs great but a noise is coming from the timing cover. Removed motor and took off timing cover. Cam shaft gear is scraping the cover in about a 3/8" area at the end of the cam gear teeth. Cam gear is flush on the cam. The gasket was a paper gasket. Was this the right gasket? Should it have been a cork gasket to shim the cover out? What else can I look for? Thanks in advance.

After looking at the set up I am thinking of putting a double gasket on the cover. Anyone see a problem with this?

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just took mine off last night. My cam gear is not flush but sticks out about 1 mm farther than the cam. My gasket was cork but was very thin. I think some aftermarket is paper. The cover is thin and could have been bent. Possibly by the bolts used to pull the harmonic balancer. Does the cam have any play in and out?

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The cam does not have any play. It was probably an automotive gasket. I am going to check the run out of the cam today. I will check the flatness of the cover also. The scape is very slight ,but makes a lot of noise when running. Seems to tone down if at WOT when running the boat.

Tex60

Seaman

I just had mine off replacing the cam and gear. From what I saw I would lean towards a deformed cover but it could have been deformed from how the bolts were tighten down. From my auto experience you should finger tighten them then tighten a little on each one until you have gone around them several times to get them to the end tightness this keeps them from deforming the cover.

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just had mine off replacing the cam and gear. From what I saw I would lean towards a deformed cover but it could have been deformed from how the bolts were tighten down. From my auto experience you should finger tighten them then tighten a little on each one until you have gone around them several times to get them to the end tightness this keeps them from deforming the cover.

I will be checking the cover for straightness. A question, I know you have to pull the cam to have the gear pressed on but do you have to pull the crank to press on that gear?

Tex60

Seaman

Sorry it has been a while since I've been on here I don't know about the crank gear, never messed with that one.