1985 Mercruiser 260 V8 intermitent starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

villadu

Recruit
Replaced the starter switch (key) cleaned the batter terminals.
when I turn the key I just hear a click from the solenoid, after 4 or 5 times it will finally turn over, runs great once it starts.
Starter going bad? Not sure what else it could be.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 Mercruiser 260 V8 intermitent starting

Replaced the starter switch (key) cleaned the batter terminals.
when I turn the key I just hear a click from the solenoid, after 4 or 5 times it will finally turn over, runs great once it starts.
Starter going bad? Not sure what else it could be.

Check and clean your grounds. Pretty common for grounds to corrode over the winter. I've even had to remove one starter bolt at a time, clean it, and re-install it to be sure the starter had a good ground. Clean battery terminals, as well as all the ground wires connected to your grounding post on the engine. (Often a stud sticking out of one of the bellhousing mount bolts.) I eliminated corrosion at my engine grounding stud, by replacing it with a stainless steel version, and changing all the ring terminals to stainless as well...soldered to the wire, not just crimped.

dougracecar

Recruit
Mine is a 260 mercrusier of unknown vintage.(at least a 1987). Has a stock four barrel quadra jet on it. The starter will not engage flywheel. All I get is a clicking noise coming from the starter slave solenoid. I have replaced the starter and the starter slave solenoid. I also checked and cleaned all the grounds. When I jump the starter (with screw driver) the starter motor runs, but the starter solenoid does not engage. I'm at a loss. Need help. All of these symptoms were there before I changed the starter and starter slave solenoid.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Mine is a 260 mercrusier of unknown vintage.(at least a 1987). Has a stock four barrel quadra jet on it. The starter will not engage flywheel. All I get is a clicking noise coming from the starter slave solenoid. I have replaced the starter and the starter slave solenoid. I also checked and cleaned all the grounds. When I jump the starter (with screw driver) the starter motor runs, but the starter solenoid does not engage. I'm at a loss. Need help. All of these symptoms were there before I changed the starter and starter slave solenoid.

Please start a new thread. A 4 year old thread isn't the place to ask for help as oldies are often ignored.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.