Changing the belt in this 4.3L Mercruiser(picture)

tbmaciii

Cadet
Hi all,

New to boating, just got the boat running right on the water after changing the fuel filter and inline filter near the carb. After I start the boat, the belt makes a very, very loud screeching noise. It has never been replaced so I figured I should go ahead and take of that tomorrow morning. Are there directions or a manual onloine, and does anyone know what size belt and what type of engine oil are used, since I will change the oil tomorrow as well. Thanks

image.jpg

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Changing the belt in this 4.3L Mercruiser(picture)

Welcome TBM. The experts will need a year and engine serial number to give any kind of help. You've come to the right place.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You have the belt set-up incorrectly.... Which will account for the noise. I'll go and photograph my engine for you and you can see how it should be... Be back in a second....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

OK.. Here's your picture. If you really want to replace the belt with a new one, it's a Gates 6PK1930. Get it at any parts shop and pay about half what Merc would charge you for the same thing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000069 (800 x 600).jpg
    P1000069 (800 x 600).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 13

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

belt.jpg

Oops, Too late.

tbmaciii

Cadet

I see how yours are, however the larger center pulley has a smooth outside which means it should touch the outside of the belt. Is my set up with pulleys just different then? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I see how yours are, however the larger center pulley has a smooth outside which means it should touch the outside of the belt. Is my set up with pulleys just different then? Thanks

That is the way it's supposed to be. Put the belt on by the picture or the drawing from the manual I posted, and it will work.

What is your Merc serial number, then we can get you the correct belt number.