• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercruiser 3.0 starting problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser 3.0 starting problem

Hello fellow iboat members! I'm desperately in need on some advice.
    Ok so here's what's going on. I just recently purchased a 19ft Bayliner with a 87-89? 130hp Mercrusier 3.0 2.5 liter I/O. With the weather warming up here in alaska, decided to get her up and running for fishing season. Problem is it doesn't want to start up. I have gone through the troubleshooting steps in the adults only section and have replace with brand new battery, spark plugs/ wires, slave solenoid, starter, fuel pump, oil, oil filter, fuel/water separator filter, Fresh gas in tanks. It now cranks and attempts to start. After a few turns of the key I could get it to run roughly for about 5-10 seconds before it stalls out. Checked carb and getting 2 strong fuel squirts for every throttle pushed but refuses to start. I'm thinking I should probably take out the carbs for a good cleaning but wanted to get some opinions before hand. Any thoughts, tips, would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Mercruiser 3.0 starting problem

Are you using the throttle only button on the helm control, pumping the throttle a time or two before cranking and leaving the throttle up to about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to start?
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post
      Are you using the throttle only button on the helm control, pumping the throttle a time or two before cranking and leaving the throttle up to about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to start?

Thanks for reply. I'll give that a try when I get off work today. Now is that the proper way to start these motors? This is my second boat and I'm learning as I go.

Comment

For carbed engines yes. They don't start like your car/truck EFI engine.
        Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post
          For carbed engines yes. They don't start like your car/truck EFI engine.
          Ok so tried what you said and it'll run for a few seconds then die again? What should I look into next?

Comment

Have you replaced both fuel filters? 1 going into carb and 1 at the bottom of the fuel pump.
            91 Wellcraft Sport 17'
            Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha 1

Comment

Originally posted by grarrsmi View Post
              Have you replaced both fuel filters? 1 going into carb and 1 at the bottom of the fuel pump.
              I didn't replace them but have taken them off for a visual inspection and both looked fairly new and not clogged. I took off carb to clean last and inspect and looks like new parts in there with little debris. Will put it back on the boat today and give her another go.

Comment

Is the choke working? You have to leave the throttle up to 1200 to 1500 rpm for about a little while for it to warm up so it will idle. Are yo doing that or just going to idle position after it starts.

Here is a page from an owners manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	46ab32ecde5e94d26b8377529a6d8762.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	169409
                Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Choke is workin correctly had to make a little adjustments but looks good. So here are my steps that I took to start it. Any thing I'm doing wrong please correct me.

1. Press button on throttle only move it forward to the first stop, ( before engaging gears I suppose) then give 1-2 full throttles
                  2. Return throttle back to 1/2( this meaning out of gear)
                  3. Turn key to start
                  4. Engine cranks and starts
                  After i get it to start I just leave it at 1/2 and it will run for a few seconds rough then dies.

Am I doing something wrong here? Missing a step?

Comment

Originally posted by hunter530 View Post
                    1. Press button on throttle only move it forward to the first stop, ( before engaging gears I suppose) then give 1-2 full throttles
                    2. Return throttle back to 1/2( this meaning out of gear)
                    3. Turn key to start
                    4. Engine cranks and starts
                    After i get it to start I just leave it at 1/2 and it will run for a few seconds rough then dies.

Am I doing something wrong here? Missing a step?
                    2. Return to 1/2 throttle, carb opened 1/2 way, 1/2 way between neutral and wide open. (EDIT: not in neutral)

After it starts, immediately back the throttle down to 1200-1500 RPM and let it warm up for a few minutes, then back it down to idle.
                    2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
                    2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

Ok so got it to run. But now... It'll run for about 20-30 seconds when I lower the rpms but then it'll pop and die. I'm thinking maybe timing is either off or running to lean. Suggestions?

Comment

Put a timing light on it and see.
                        The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
                        2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
                        Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
                        Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

Originally posted by hunter530 View Post
                          Ok so got it to run. But now... It'll run for about 20-30 seconds when I lower the rpms but then it'll pop and die.
                          How long was the engine run to warm it up, only 20-30 seconds then it pops and dies when backed down to idle. (sounds like normal symptoms for a cold engine backed down to idle too soon) If so, let it warm up longer, several minutes.

If the engine is warmed up and it pops and dies after 20-30 seconds at idle, sounds like it needs tune-up stuff, possibly carb or fuel issue. What's the engine idling at for those 20-30 seconds, should be 650-750RPM?
                          2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
                          2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

Originally posted by fishrdan View Post
                            How long was the engine run to warm it up, only 20-30 seconds then it pops and dies when backed down to idle. (sounds like normal symptoms for a cold engine backed down to idle too soon) If so, let it warm up longer, several minutes.

If the engine is warmed up and it pops and dies after 20-30 seconds at idle, sounds like it needs tune-up stuff, possibly carb or fuel issue. What's the engine idling at for those 20-30 seconds, should be 650-750RPM?
                            It was idling at about 1000-1200 rpms, dropping it caused it to stall out every time. At first it seemed like it was starving for gas but kept stalling out with no pop. After a few tries the "pop" starting happening and after that, didnt matter what rpms it was idling at as soon as it pops it just dies immediately. I have never used a timing light before in my life( embarrassed to say but true) so ill go look up some youtube videos to see how it works and will try. The gentlemen i bought the boat from did say i needed to adjust the timing to get her running right so ill look into that next. If all fails, ill probably get a carb kit and see if that helps out. Really don't want to take it to the shop but in the end if that's what will get me on the water i suppose i will. I just think its something really simple that i am crossing over and should be a simple fix. thanks for all your inputs and help, i do really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                            X