1990 Marlin Mini-Day Cruiser W/ MerCruiser Bravo-One Outdrive and GM 454 Motor

JVIERRA

Recruit
I have a 1990 Marlin Mini-Day Cruiser W/ MerCruiser Bravo-One Outdrive with a GM 454 Motor. It has two fuel tanks. When we recentlyt took it out this weekend there were some issues. When I was running it on the left side fuel tank it would sputter and stall and create a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust pipe and then there would be a strong fuel smell comming from the back of the boat. When I switched to the other fuel tank everything was running great with no problems whatsoever. Can someone please help

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 1990 Marlin Mini-Day Cruiser W/ MerCruiser Bravo-One Outdrive and GM 454 Motor

Welcome to iBoats . . .

OK, works on one fuel tank but not the other . . . let's go for bad (i.e. old) fuel in the port (left) fuel tank, or possibly the fuel line is not running freely (clogged). Check for good flow from that side, then if that proves out, it might be best to off-load the fuel in that tank and dispose of it. That part can be challenging.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1990 Marlin Mini-Day Cruiser W/ MerCruiser Bravo-One Outdrive and GM 454 Motor

Bad fuel in the port tank? or maybe an air leak in the lines causing a lean-out condition...

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"...stall and create a lot of white smoke..."

You answered you own question....

White smoke = water, in this case you have water (condendsation) in your port tank.

You can either dispose of the fuel in that tank and refill will with good fuel or install a large fuel water seperator (but plan on replacing the filter several times)...

Hope this helps....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If there is water in the fuel tank, then there should be water in the water separating fuel filter as well. Might want to check it.