Mercruiser 3.0 Dies after coil heats up/restarts after recovery.

Hey guys im scratching my head here and I need some input please! I have been searching my exact senario for days now but i havent found a thread that will satisfy my questions.

So heres the facts:

Late 80's alpha 1 gen 1 Mercruiser 3.0
Fully rebuilt.... Everything New except core/head.

Currently hooked up:
Petronix 1146a ignitor
Flame Thrower 3.0ohm coil
New Mallory Wires/cap
New plugs (yesterday)
New Remanufactured Mercarb 2bbl
New OEM fuel pump.

The Situation: South Florida, My driveway, On trailer.

So when cold she starts immediately. Then after about an hour it just dies like i shut the key off. Initially i had the old points system hooked up. Had the OEM 1.5ohm coil wired in factory specs with the resistor ballast wire connected. Same thing.. Runs and dies. Coil was on burning up. Replaced coil with same specs. Same thing. I hooked it to 12v and it ran great but because it was a 1.5ohm coil and required the resistor it burned up as well. So at this point i determined it had to be the factory wiring. I decided to go aftermarket and convert to electronic. I bypassed the resistor wire and when right to a pre-resistor source to grab 12v instead of the 6-8v after the resistor. She ran great for an hour then burned up???? At this point i bypassed the whole factory system so the coil was getting its + right from the battery. I've done extensive diagnosis to eliminate some variables as to what it could be and have narrowed it down the coil. I also notice when the coil is very hot and i crank it the voltage drops to 0 even if i run it directly to the battery. This makes me believe its due to the internal resistor being shot..

So my questions are:

1. What is the correct total Ohms for the ignition system required. I have read that it should be 3.0.

2. Everyone talks about a 12v wire from the starter to the coil to provide 12v during cranking. I dont have that wire hooked up but she starts ok when cold so it shouldnt be the issue. However how does this wire get hooked up. It cant go to the starter solenoid because it would bleed back voltage while running and cause the starter to engage correct? It would have to have its own relay.

3. Any ideas what else my problem can be? Input? Why does my coil fry?

Thanks!!!

Heres a link to a video of my boat....

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10201168926730958

cjbuilds

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Dies after coil heats up/restarts after recovery.

Sounds like we are having the exact same problem. I have a 87' OMC 350. Any info or a fix that you have come up with?

arnoldclan

Cadet

There should be a an extra stud on your starter solenoid for the coil. you can test it when you crank the engine it should show 12 volts. Also I don't know if this applies, but when I installed my Pertronix, the instructions showed some sort of fix depending on your application, installing diodes and resistors , You can also find that info on the Pertronix website. Hope this helps..

thumpar

Admiral

How soon after it dies will it restart?