Mercruiser 140 1986 distributor timing advance springs/weights exploded?

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well not exactly exploded but I was hearing a ticking sound which soon turned into backfiring, misfiring and loss of power.
Were metal filings in the cap and found this when I removed the plate while I was on the water. Was still a good day just used the kicker to fish and was able to idle back to the dock after removing broken pieces.

I did mention this on my resto thread but thought it may be better to ask advice on this section.
Has any just replaced the weights, springs, etc... Do I need a whole distributor?
I should mention both weights seem intact. the cover and springs obviously not.
I found a loose screw which must have come loose. Something I never removed during the resto but wish I would have checked earlier.
Thanks,
James

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 140 1986 distributor timing advance springs/weights exploded?

you can replace just springs and weights, unless something is really messed up your distributor housing and shaft should be fine

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok Dubs, thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to inspect closely in the garage tonight and see what parts are available tomorrow locally.

James

fishrdan

Admiral

Looks messed up to me, too many bent parts to get it back into working order,,, easily. The springs (bent) are especially important for the timing curve, and finding replacements of the correct tension won't be easy. I'd look for another distributor, or possibly a new Delco EST.

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found I few things I wasn't sure about and I dont even know what the new distributor comes with but have a look at this pics.

First this one wire is split. not a biggy to fix but the mount for it in the area I'm pointing at was destroyed. Can I get that seperate and/or does it come with a new dist.?

This plate I thought was bent but it appears to have the same curve on both sides so maybe that is normal. There is a plastic piece and the other screw under but was having a tough time fishing it out. Is it normal for it to be somewhat concave? I couldn't seem to remove it as is... Perhaps it does not come off with the dist. installed...

Wondering without seeing one what does a new distributor come with?
What is the Delco EST exactly?

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, I see. Can I still get the old school type, is it available? Do guys still go that route? Reason I am asking is that I just bought the new rotor, cap, coil, condenser, points and wires. I'm guessing that $115 is a loss if I upgrade. Would have been a no brainer to upgrade if I knew the distributor was on the outs but didn't so I invested in the tune up parts...
Thanks,
James