Shift Shaft CAble Nut Frozen, stuck, won't unscrew 86 mercruiser alpha1 gen 1

Trader Vick

Cadet
I am replacing the shift shaft cable (new style) and the brass nut on old one that is visible after removing out drive will not unscrew. I searched the forums, and I bought and tried the special tool, I used a craftsman deep well socket, and still can not get it to budge, I applied torch heat and tried again, no luck. Now the brass nut is starting round off, so I stopped and took pictures, if anyone knows a way to get this out, please let me knowIMGP1758.jpgView attachment 192662IMGP1753.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift Shaft CAble Nut Frozen, stuck, won't unscrew 86 mercruiser alpha1 gen 1

I've had to drill them out a few times when they get corroded in from salt water use.

Drill a little at a time and don't damage the threads in the housing or you will have to replace it too.
When you get it drilled enough you can take it out piece by piece.

Trader Vick

Cadet
Re: Shift Shaft CAble Nut Frozen, stuck, won't unscrew 86 mercruiser alpha1 gen 1

I've had to drill them out a few times when they get corroded in from salt water use.

Drill a little at a time and don't damage the threads in the housing or you will have to replace it too.
When you get it drilled enough you can take it out piece by piece.

OK Don,
I was also thinking about it last night, and wondered if I could use a tap (not sure what size), can you see any benefit or issues ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It takes a special tap.

Straight tap.jpg

Trader Vick

Cadet

It takes a special tap.

View attachment 192789

Don, I had seen one of your other posts abut that tap and th picture, but in this case, the existing cable in new style, nut screws in on the NON_Bellows side, is not a conversion of old style cable to new style.

I was wondering about a tapered tap,just slightly smaller than the inside of the brass nut, that would bite in to the nut,counter clockwise,from the same side as a socket would be used, and maybe let me apply a lot of torque, to the tap, and get the brass nut out. (I will likely split open the little brass tube that comes out of the nut).

If I drill it, any special type bit material, or size, or style?

FireCkn

Cadet

Use a 9/16 easy out and a impact gun. Worked great for me and the nut on mine had completely rounded off.

Trader Vick

Cadet

Use a 9/16 easy out and a impact gun. Worked great for me and the nut on mine had completely rounded off.

"easy out" THATs what I was trying to think of, (I think I used the term Die when I was thinking easy out).
Thanks I can't wait to try it.
BTW, why an "impact gun"?
do you mean a hammer drill? I have air compressor and some air tools, but no "impact gun" are you talking about an air tool, or an electric drill / hammer driver?

FireCkn

Cadet

What I'm referring to is a deep socket that is ment to remove rounded bolts it has teeth to bite into the metal.

Like this
Snap-on Tools

Trader Vick

Cadet

What I'm referring to is a deep socket that is ment to remove rounded bolts it has teeth to bite into the metal.

Like this
Snap-on Tools

Oh, that's completely different
I thought easy out was a screw extractor, like this

Search Results for?easy out?at The Home Depot

I thought it would work because the bolt has a hole it it ! (NOW the 9/16 and the impact gun make sense !! LOL )
Thanks Very much for the quick follow up, as, I had got the easy-out I thought U meant, but luckily but not done the work yet. Will get the deep well extractor tool today.

FireCkn

Cadet

Good luck Trader Vick!!! I hope it works as good for you as it did for me. Looking back my use of term was wrong what you listed is a true easy out. Keep us updated on your results

FireCkn

Cadet

Just as a tip I cut the excess cable off before I extracted mine. It eases the stress since that nut and the cable both have to turn. I also had to clip the plastic tube that goes through the nut to get the socket to fit. Here's a pic of what it looked like when it came out.
image.jpg

thumpar

Admiral
The Oracle is no longer with us. You should open up a new thread.