1998 25' Outlaw dual cable hydraulic steering,oil leak from guide tube end.

V.I.Outlaw

Recruit
First off,hello all. new member here. I have a 98 Baja Outlaw with a dual cable hydraulic steering setup. I recently pulled the motor to rebuild the gimbal assembly. While the tiller arm was disconnected from the power steering ram,I turned the steering wheel lock to lock slowly to check for binding and overall condition of the steering cables. everything seemed normal. The next morning i saw a couple of drops of oil in the bilge that came from the ends of the guide tubes where the steering cables exit near the tiller arm. This system looks to be different from the newer style steering as the control valve is a separete piece. The cable block looks to have a bolt about 3-4 inches long that connects to the control valve. I was wondering where the oil is coming from, does oil travel between the control valve and the cable block? Do the guide tubes have some sort of O-ring in them to seal from oil seepage. system drips 4-5 drops I'm guessing overnight. The motor is still out until i get this figured out. Anyone have experience with these dual cable setups?

Cheers
James

V.I.Outlaw

Recruit
Re: 1998 25' Outlaw dual cable hydraulic steering,oil leak from guide tube end.

Ok. No one knows anything about these. Could the oil be coming from the helm control? Are they filled with oil?

Thanks
James