Mercruiser 3.0 Ignition Coil

I recently bought a 87 Glasstream Cutlass 172 with a Mercruiser 3.0. Owner told me it needed points before it would crank. Well going against my gut feeling I bought it anyway not hearing it run.

Instead of messing with points I bought the electronic conversion kit and installed it. Changed plugs /wires /distributor cap and rotor as well. Engine would not start. Engine will turn over but never starts. ( separate post).

As I was changing the plug wires I noticed that the coil cavity was full of oil. It looked like new oil. I cleaned it out and tried a few more times to start motor and it will not crank. I rechecked the coil and more oil was inside the coil cavity. Does the coil have moving parts on the inside that requires lubed and now its damaged and needs replaced. Never seen oil inside coil before. I thought it may be some kind of preservative oil the owner put in to keep from corrosion but not sure.

Thanks for any comments

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Ignition Coil

Yes, they have oil in them, yes you need a new coil.

Good to know. I was having trouble starting the motor and I checked for spark using a spark tester and the light lit up but really wasn't bright. Also explains why when I tried to check for timing my timing light would not light either.

Thanks for your help - that was a quick really.

Yes, they have oil in them, yes you need a new coil.

Just to make sure. I bought the electronic conversion kit and it is 3 ohms. Does the Coils also need to be 3 ohms as well? I would think so but just wanted to ask to make sure.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have no clue, look at the instructions for your conversion kit.

Levithan

Banned

The kit you bought needs the matching coil.
Now does it not crank or not start?
Points do not cause no crank condition.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you bought the conversion kit, you should have also bought the coil. To make it work, you will need to REMOVE the resistance wire from your points wiring harness. You will need a wiring diagram for your motor to find this wire. If you do not remove this wire and replace it with the proper wire in it's place the motor will never work properly. I'm assuming you bought a Pertronix unit?

thumpar

Admiral

The kit you bought needs the matching coil.
Now does it not crank or not start?
Points do not cause no crank condition.
That is not true. You can just run the converted unit to 12v and keep the resistor wire for the coil. It does make it easier to get a new coil though.

I bought just the kit that replaced the points under the cap. Points had only one wire going to the coil. I removed the points and plate and replaced it with the kit that had 2 wires going to the coil (red and black). The kit did not come with a coil. I bought a matching coil today and hope it comes in soon.

I will look for the resistance wire. Thanks

thumpar

Admiral

The resistor wire is the one on the + side of the coil. If you bought an internally ballisted coil you will want to run a full 12v wire to it.

Maclin

Admiral

Just to clarify why there is oil in the coil.... no moving parts, it is for heat dissipation.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You will see "post new thread" and tell us what your working on and if its allergic to water you need a different boat