New Galaxy Boat 3.7 mercruiser. Needs tune up!

TkdSilat

Seaman Apprentice
Purchased a 21.5' Galaxy from 1989 from a friend of mine. Got a good deal, $2000. Needs a good tune up... starts and runs, shifts into fwd and reverse just fine. Doesnt seem to be sucking up water too well. My mechanic friend who winterized it said it didnt suck up the anti freeze that well.
I want to do the whole impeller kit, friend of mine hasnt had it in the water for 2 yrs. ITs a 1989 Galaxy, 3.7 mercruiser with alpha 1 outdrive. How do i find the impeller kit? there are TONS listed online?
I have the service manual and im pretty handy, i restored an old star craft and sold it. I plan on doing plugs, wires, oil change, and flushing the heat exchange too.

Attachments

• IMG_3346.jpg
    IMG_3346.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3348.jpg
    IMG_3348.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3349.jpg
    IMG_3349.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: New Galaxy Boat 3.7 mercruiser. Needs tune up!

How about check iBoats? Why not support the business that you're using to get all this FREE information.

Water Pump Kit - Sierra - iboats

When you say you have a manual, exactly which manual do you have?

TkdSilat

Seaman Apprentice

I have the manual made by Cylmer. Covers the motor and outdrive. Seems easy to follow.. same kind of manual i have for my truck.

FireCkn

Cadet

I have the manual made by Cylmer. Covers the motor and outdrive. Seems easy to follow.. same kind of manual i have for my truck.

Do some searching around this site there are PDFs of the merc manual which will be much more specific to your application and much more helpful. Problems with manuals like you have are they cover a large frame of models and years so specifics will be vague and hard to find plus could be wrong for your application.

TkdSilat

Seaman Apprentice

thanks! ill try to find a PDF... i saw a bunch of YOUTUBE videos too seeing it done step by step

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have the manual made by Cylmer. Covers the motor and outdrive. ....

The words 'clymer' and 'manual' can not be used in the same sentence. Clymer is a knee-pad at best, or hand wipes, or fire starters, but never a manual....

Try these -> Drive manual, Engine manual

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Doesnt seem to be sucking up water too well. My mechanic friend who winterized it said it didnt suck up the anti freeze that well.

First off if your mechanic "sucked up antifreeze" into the exchange to winterize it (no offense to your friend) then it was done incorrectly. On the 470 (3.7) you freeze protect it by draining the seawater from the exchanger (aft plug on underside of the exchanger) Now to the impeller. You have an 89 boat with an engine that is very sensitive to overheating, so you need to know that the cooling system in in tip top shape, so my advice is to go to your local mercruiser dealer and replace the impeller AND pump housing with new OEM mercruiser parts, so you know everything is OK from the start. For the tune up, start with new points, and get a dwell meter to set them, make sure the timing is set correctly at 4 degrees BTDC. Grab a antifreeze tester and check to see that it is about 50/50, then make sure the system is full with coolant in the overflow tank to the mark. Once you have it up and running on muffs do a compression check and cooling system pressure test (borrow the tools from Autozone) to make sure the head gasket and cooling system are in good shape. Pull the entire outdrive off to do the impeller, so you can lube the U-joints while you are at it. Locate the weep hole on the lower starboard side of the engine waterpump, and make sure it is open, and while you have it running and warmed up check for leakage. Here is the proper manual for your engine: Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 8 - 1985-1989 - Mercury Marine 4 Cylinder Engines Good luck and welcomee to the 470 club :facepalm::D

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Nice boat by the way. You mentioned plug wires. Again I would recommend OEM Mercruiser wires. Yeah they are 2 or 3 times the price of aftermarket stuff, but they fit perfectly and are very high quality. I debated spending the money, but am very glad I did. Oh yeah probably should try to suck out as much of the old gas as you can and replace it with fresh. Use non ethanol regular if you can find it, some marinas sell it.

TkdSilat

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info everyone. Thanks for the links to the manuals and info sheets! Ill be posting info and pics as I do the work!! !