Circuit breaker keeps popping?

Sevenscrew

Seaman
Mercruiser 3.0 lx alpha one, when I go to start the boat it doesn't crank, so I reset(push red button) the circuit breaker and then it'll start but pops while running (I don't think it dies when it pops, not sure)

What could be causing it to pop?

Thanks sorry I'm a noob. Model and serial number on engine are illegible

FireCkn

Cadet
Re: Circuit breaker keeps popping?

Do you have a meter? If so take an amp reading and find out if its overloading the breaker. If amperage is normal could be a failed breaker.

Sevenscrew

Seaman

Where do I check the amperage? I'm assuming its popping only when running or starting. Because if I reset it, it'll start. But if i shut it off. I can restart it again without pressing the button. But then maybe the next try it won't crank. Making me press the button to fix it

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Sounds like a faulty breaker.... Put an ammeter in the main power circuit and see just how much current is being drawn. If it's less than 50 amps, replace the breaker. If it's more, start chasing down the culprit.

Chris......

Sevenscrew

Seaman

Does anyone know the part number of the circuit breaker? It's a 50 amp

I'm not with the boat right now trying to order it from school

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Normally I won't give a PN without a serial number, but that circuit breaker is the same for all 3.0LX engines 88-11178

I would strongly suggest you get the model and serial numbers of your engine and outdrive and put them in your signature so people can see what you have without asking. Going by year of the boat and engine size is not how you find the correct parts and information.

Sevenscrew

Seaman

Thank u so much. I have to find the numbers bc they're rubbed off

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is a metal tag and stamped numbers that don't wear off.

3.jpg

Sevenscrew

Seaman

Now it's starting over and over fine... Didnt do anything to fix it? Could of something been damp