Trim Rocker Switch question from a newbie

Lil captain

Cadet
Bought a 02 rinker 232 5.0 carb generation II outdrive and have spent a lot of quality time with it, bellows, impeller, stereo system, fresh water pump, installed dual batteries and perko switch. The boat came with a mercury 4500 shift control that has a rocker switch for the power trim, which has a diagram of a boat on the trailer and up and down arrows . I can adjust the trim limit sender to 21.75+or- and all works well, but cannot find any other switches for getting the outdrive up to the trailer position. My question is when working properly is the rocker switch a two or three position switch, and if its only up and down, what overrides the trim limit to get to a trailering position. Thanks in advance

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim Rocker Switch question from a newbie

Push the trim up button a little harder. It has two up positions.

Lil captain

Cadet

thank you for the reply Don S, thats what i needed to know. I just tried pushing harder on the up side of the switch, it must be broken or corroded, so I gave it a shot of penetrating oil in hopes of getting it free before I break it beyond repair. Does anyone know if the switch only is available, and where to buy it?

Don S

Post a picture of your control.

Lil captain

Cadet

Hopefully this pic is better image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Trim and tilt is all in that same switch.

Lil captain

Cadet

Thanks Don S ill see if I can break it completely after its soaked a bit. I will let a know the outcome.

Lil captain

Cadet

Well it comes down to The Good,Bad and The Ugly
The good- the switch will still trim up down and trailer, with the limit out of a adjustment
The bad- trim is not limited while boat is running (possible gimbal u joint damage)
The ugly-cant find the switch for sale separate from a whole control unit

If anyone knows where to get one please let me know

Don S

Hit your local Merc dealer, they have the parts breakdown and the switch. you aren't going to find it aftermarket.

As far as running without it, when you trim too high the boat will first start proposing, then when you trim even higher the prop starts coming out of the water and the speed starts dropping. (you will hear it before you see the gauges) all that happens before damage. When you hear it, either drop rpm or trim down. This is not rocket science.
Use some sense and you can run without the limit switch. All the owners with Volvo and OMC drives could, the Volvo used a limit on the DP drives to prevent cavitation burn on the props, otherwise you have to pay attention. Just the Merc guys that seem to have problems without the Trim limit switch.

Lil captain

Cadet

Thank you for all the help and info, I think I'll order and replace the switch next time I go to the merc dealer, since I have two teens and a very beautiful wife that will be using the boat also. For now I will take your advice and put it in the water just to see if it floats before I put any more $ into it. Thanks again