Mercruiser V6 -> V8 swap, engine mounts

hannez82

Cadet
Hi,

I'm about to swap from a V6 to a V8 mercruiser in my Bayliner 2455 from 2000. I shall move my engine mounts and need to know how much. I've read on the forum that I should move them 4.4'' forward but somewhere else I have read 3''. Can someone say for sure it's 4.4'' or if there is a document or something stating the measurement of the both engines.

Best regards, Hannes

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser V6 -> V8 swap, engine mounts

Hi,

I'm about to swap from a V6 to a V8 mercruiser in my Bayliner 2455 from 2000. I shall move my engine mounts and need to know how much. I've read on the forum that I should move them 4.4'' forward but somewhere else I have read 3''. Can someone say for sure it's 4.4'' or if there is a document or something stating the measurement of the both engines.

Best regards, Hannes

Howdy,

If I were doing the job, I would MEASURE the distance from the flywheel housing rear mount to the center of the side engine mounts to determine the approx difference. (You may have to do a little fiberglass work to possibly include moving the mounts if they're way off .......which might indicate that the original boat builder never intended it to have a V-8 [however unlikely])

Then I would install the engine, to include bolting it to the inner transom plate to locate the exact side engine mount drill points.

I did exactly the same thing when I removed my formerly installed OMC Ford 460 and installed the Mercruiser 454.

This way, I was able to exactly locate the drill points for the engine mounts with the engine right where it needed to be.

I filled the old mount holes with marine epoxy mixed with powdered fiberglass. I marked the new holes with the engine bolted to the transom plate, while hanging from the lift.

Regards,

Rick

hannez82

Cadet

Howdy,

If I were doing the job, I would MEASURE the distance from the flywheel housing rear mount to the center of the side engine mounts to determine the approx difference. (You may have to do a little fiberglass work to possibly include moving the mounts if they're way off .......which might indicate that the original boat builder never intended it to have a V-8 [however unlikely])

Then I would install the engine, to include bolting it to the inner transom plate to locate the exact side engine mount drill points.

I did exactly the same thing when I removed my formerly installed OMC Ford 460 and installed the Mercruiser 454.

This way, I was able to exactly locate the drill points for the engine mounts with the engine right where it needed to be.

I filled the old mount holes with marine epoxy mixed with powdered fiberglass. I marked the new holes with the engine bolted to the transom plate, while hanging from the lift.

Regards,

Rick

Hi,

The boat comes with either v6 and v8, mainly v8 so the size of the engine no problem.

I''ve have try to measure but it's not easy since there is not "straight way" between the mounts and tha fact that they are not in the same height. From my rough measurement I think that 4.4'' is correct but I would like to know for sure.

I've thought about the other option but it's to tight down under and the guy who lifts the engine is in a hurry so I would like to fix this on my own if possible.

hannez82

Cadet

I need a tool like this one. What is called?

If the first hole in v6 and the second is for v8 I have my answer right there.

IMG_0629.JPG