Few questions new to me 17' 3.0 glastron

Sevenscrew

Seaman
Hi I just took our new to us 17' bow rider glastron 3.0 mercruiser I/o out on the lake yesterday for the first time (in a couple years, previous owner let it sit but was winterized)

1. The shifter was very hard to move, mainly reverse but forward too. I disconnected the cables at the engine and it moved freely (the throttle up front) and the valve cover throttle lever also appeared to move freely(slight resistant but not enough to affect the throttle tension. I found a unit that had 3 springs in it, and looked just like a dampener of some sort. I removed a spring because it was very hard to push in and out. Is this safe? My throttle is 20-30% easier to move now, I'm also going to spray silicon spray in the sleeves of the cable.

2. My drain plug housing is loose. 2/3 screws just spin. Can I just jb weld the outer edge of the whole diameter and be done with it?

3. It seems like it's hard to steer right. But left is nice and easy. What would cause this? I do have a trim tab for steering . Or else I'd try that!

Thanks guys this is my first time working on boats, but I've done alot on cars/my jeep.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Few questions new to me 17' 3.0 glastron

If drain plug screws are stripped you had best check the transom for rot. So no - do not just try and slop sealant around it. Investigate first then repair the damage.

don't know what springs you are talking about so can't comment on those.

Hard steering one direction and not the other is due to torque from the drive. Typical on a non-power steering system.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

After disconnecting the lower shift cable, see if it moves easily in and out by hand.

On the spring device, it sounds like you are describing a shift assist... I believe its main purpose is to assist in finding neutral. Remove it if you want. (If that is what you are describing).

thumpar

Admiral

3)

Adjust the trim tab.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here's a pic of the shift assist I am referring to: (labeled A)

ShiftAssistAssy.jpg

GlastronNWGA

Cadet

My 17'5 Glastron SSV175 is also harder to turn to the right than the left when under power. I agree with above, I think it has to do with torque from the engine maybe, plus no power steering.
The loose drain plug housing doesnt' sound good. Definitely check for rot. Because you are new to working on boats, let me offer this advice...check your bilge pump, make sure it works. If its not automatic, might want to invest in one. If that drain plug housing should fail, the bilge pump might get you back to shore.