Mercruiser 5.7L distributor sensor question

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm just going over things on my 1984 5.7 Mercruiser just prepping for Spring. I noticed inside the distributor the advance sensor is rusty looking. I tried to remove it for cleaning but it appears the shaft must be removed before the sensor can be taken out. I'm just wondering if the sensor needs replaced. I have been experiencing a bad hesitation problem for two seasons that I've been unable to solve. Could this be the culprit?DSC09327.jpgDSC09328.jpg

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 5.7L distributor sensor question

BTW what am I doing wrong that my pictures insert in the middle of my text???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just remove the two outer screws to get the module out. No reason to pull the shaft.

As far as picture location, that is controlled by where you have the cursor.
Space bar and the enter keys put spaces between them or one above the other.

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don, How do I know if it should be replaced?

Don S

If it doesn't work, replace it.

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class

is it obvious when the sensor fails, like the engine just doesn't run worth a flip, or are the symptom's more subtle? The only problem I have is a bad stumble upon hole shot when taking off, especially if pulling up a skier. So how do I know if the sensor is bad?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm just going over things on my 1984 5.7 Mercruiser just prepping for Spring. I noticed inside the distributor the advance sensor is rusty looking. I tried to remove it for cleaning but it appears the shaft must be removed before the sensor can be taken out. I'm just wondering if the sensor needs replaced. I have been experiencing a bad hesitation problem for two seasons that I've been unable to solve. Could this be the culprit?

View attachment 190108View attachment 190109

That sensor, and the plate it's on, do not move, they are fixed. All the ignition advancing is done in the amplifier. If you have a hesitation on hard acceleration, but less so on gentle throttle advance, than I would suspect the carburetor accelerator pump....

That sensor does look sad, but they generally have two modes, working and not working. When they are not working, the engine does not run, period....

Chris........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

when the sensor goes, there is no spark. without spark, there is no bang. without bang, the engine doesnt run.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

when the sensor goes, there is no spark. without spark, there is no bang. without bang, the engine doesnt run.

Trust you to simplify things... :D :D :D

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class

that's the answer I was looking for! Thanks guys.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hesitation: achris stated accelerator pump, look down the carb while pumping the throttle checking for a good squirt with each pump. If it is squirting good, may be the ESA or cable adjustment.

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class

I get two healthy streams of fuel when I push the accelrator piston down, or when I push the throttle, so I'm guessing the accelerator pump is okay. Bonzoscott, what is the "ESA or cable adjustment" that you mentioned?

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class

A forrum search for ESA comes up empty.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sensor looks pretty rough, I would replace it either way. Cheap way to avoid a tow in the future, ask me how I know...

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's a switch next to the carb. Look at the videos. It interrupts the spark so the drive can shift. It has wires to it. It could be failing and need replaced, but you need to try proper adjustment of the cables first. Search the forum or get a manual for cable adjustment as I can not elaborate on that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0l9lWKGUo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLE_tMJfSFk

KevinCasey

Recruit

I noticed this thread may also address my problem. The old sensor in the pictures looks like my old one. My boat runs I just thought as ugly as it was I should replace it so I bought a new sensor and it has 3 wires compared to my old one with 2. I have the bullet connectors and the instructions say just plug them in. It mentioned nothing about what to do with the black wire. When I did I didn't know what to do with the black wire and so I just made sure it wasn't touching anything and the boat won't start with the new one. The order is reversed on the order the rotor wheel passes the two wires. The wht/red is female and wht/green male like the old one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry if I reposted my question

Don S

Welcome to iboats Kevin, it's always best to start your own thread with your questions. It gets really confusing when two people are asking about two different boats in the same thread.

KevinCasey

Recruit

Welcome to iboats Kevin, it's always best to start your own thread with your questions. It gets really confusing when two people are asking about two different boats in the same thread.

Don

Okay, will do.
Sorry

Kevin

NHGuy

Captain

On your hesitation can you roll on the throttle gradually and get to full speed? And if you snap to wide open does it start to go then hesitate? If so there might be a different carb issue.