Broken starter bolt

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last couple of times we had the boat out last fall, I thought the starter sounded different. It always turned over normally and never made any ginding noises, but just sounded different. With scheduled knee replacement surgery (first of October), I had to winterize the boat early because I wouldn't be able to after the surgery and figured to look at it in the spring. Fast forward to today, as I'm trying to get ready for spring salmon fishing and I decide to take a look at the starter. I removed the L bracket on the end of the starter, then the short starter bolt and BANG, the starter falls into the bilge. The long starter bolt is broken. For what ever reason, the long bolt is still in place in the starter, but the threaded end is missing. Right about now, I'm thinking I'll need to pull the motor to fix this. Today is not a good day.

After a few choice words, I remember the 90 degree drill my Dad had. This might not be too bad after all. Surprisingly enough there is room for the drill with a 1/8" left hand drill bit. Drill held level, slow speed, light pressure and using the left turning bit, it's actually working. I can feel the drill cutting into the broken bolt as the metal shavings are falling out. I'm estimating, I've drilled about 1/2" into the bolt when my worst nightmare happens, the bit brakes off. Now I'm cursing in 3 languages. Time to drown my sorrows. Where's my cold beer?

Ok, I've cooled off, done feeling miserable about this, but not happy. On my belly squished in the bilge with a mirror I can see the broken bit inside the drilled hole just below the surface of the bolt. Suddenly the light bulb over my head comes on. I wonder, can I just put a small screwdriver into the drilled hole and turn the piece out? I'm still looking for that horseshoe up my butt. Think I'll go buy a lottery ticket tonight. If I did this right, the 2 pics show the broken bolt and the drilled hole with the broken bit stuck in it.

I guess everybody gets lucky sometime.

Attachments

• P1020526.jpg
    P1020526.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020527.jpg
    P1020527.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Broken starter bolt

Very nice! I wish I had been that lucky with my t-stat housing. Trying to get it out ended with one bolt in 3 pieces and one t-stat housing in 6 pieces. :(

I'll be replacing any bolt that comes out corroded with stainless steel from now on I think. :D

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good job! Normally that sort of thing ends in diseaster.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very fortunate!