MERCARB... i snapped the throttle cable screw threads.. help me?

brodykmb

Cadet
Let's just say I am a moron. This was going to be my big day in triumph by fixing a boat up. Today was going to be THE day.

Last order of business was to put my new mercarb on and fire my mercruiser 3.0LX up for the very first time. Well.. It fired up perfectly! BUT.. I decided to snug up the little screw that holds the throttle cable to that arm on the back before I put my flame arrest and cover on the carb. SNAP! It sheared clean off. I am very upset at myself. Not sure why I felt it was not set in there good enough.

I don't know very much about these carbs or boats for that matter to be honest. This was my first experience with the whole thing.
Can I replace that part? Anyone know what I am even talking about? Please help if you can.
Thanks a bunch.. I

Attachments

• craigslist 054.jpg
    craigslist 054.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3
  • craigslist 055.jpg
    craigslist 055.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3
  • craigslist 056.jpg
    craigslist 056.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 3

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: MERCARB... i snapped the throttle cable screw threads.. help me?

The part is replaceable. Item 32 in the picture below.
Just google (Merc 3302-810925)

throttle link.jpg

brodykmb

Cadet

thank you Don!

Bondo

Staff member

Let's just say I am a moron. This was going to be my big day in triumph by fixing a boat up. Today was going to be THE day.

Last order of business was to put my new mercarb on and fire my mercruiser 3.0LX up for the very first time. Well.. It fired up perfectly! BUT.. I decided to snug up the little screw that holds the throttle cable to that arm on the back before I put my flame arrest and cover on the carb. SNAP! It sheared clean off. I am very upset at myself. Not sure why I felt it was not set in there good enough.

I don't know very much about these carbs or boats for that matter to be honest. This was my first experience with the whole thing.
Can I replace that part? Anyone know what I am even talking about? Please help if you can.
Thanks a bunch.. I

Ayuh,..... Ok,.... :D :D

To keep ya from feelin' that feelin' again, when ya take the broken piece outa the arm/ linkage,....

Clamp onto the arm/ linkage with big vise-grips, or channel-locks to hold the Arm/ Linkage,...
Then use an open end wrench on the flats of the broken piece, 'n turn it out....

If ya just slap an end-wrench on the stub, 'n twist it off, Without firmly Supportin' the arm/ linkage, ya could easily screw it up, Bad....

Those don't need alota torque to set 'em,... 10/ 15 ft.lbs is Plenty...

The jamb-nut ya Over-torqued, don't need torquin' at All....
It's Happy, so long as the ny-lock is well onto the stud... ;)

Fun Times

Staff member

The jamb-nut ya Over-torqued, don't need torquin' at All....
It's Happy, so long as the ny-lock is well onto the stud... ;)
Agreed, the flat washer is supposed to spin freely, to accomplish that,
3. Place cable over studs. Do not adjust cable after installation.
4. Secure throttle cable with hardware and tighten securely. Then loosen locknut 1/2 turn.

If you don't leave both the throttle & shift cable end guide loose on the stud, it will affect how throttle & shift controller works in an negative way.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Did that the day I finished my rebuild on my carb just used a 1/4-20 x1" shoulder bolt after drilling out the old one! How Irronic ! so don't feel bad!