Mercruiser and SEI upper unit gear wear??

Todd4n

Cadet
I bought a 1995 Wellcraft with the 5.7 L Mercruiser back in August 2011. The previous owner hit bottom and had a dealer put a SEI outdrive on. In April 2012 I took the boat in for a new throttle cable and they had pointed out that the upper unit gears have some wear which will eventually fail in time. I decided to have them throw on a brand new mercruiser outdrive. Attached are pictures of both the SEI and Mercruiser. The gear wear sure looks pretty similar. Is it pretty normal?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Mercruiser October2012.jpg
    Mercruiser October2012.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SEI April2012.jpg
    SEI April2012.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser and SEI upper unit gear wear??

I decided to have them throw on a brand new mercruiser outdrive.

That's seems a bit of overkill to me. If it were me I would at least talk to SEI and see if they will cover it under warranty. But it is your money!

The pros will have to comment on the wear and give their opinion as to whether it is normal or not.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hard to tell in those picture. They will all get shiny and show wear, that's normal. The surface of the gears are flame hardened. The problem comes if there are pits in the hard facing of the gears where the contact pattern is.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I believe SEI gives a 3 year warranty.

Larry

Don S

I believe SEI gives a 3 year warranty.

Larry

Not if you didn't buy the drive. His drive was on the boat when he bought it.

Bondo

Staff member

I bought a 1995 Wellcraft with the 5.7 L Mercruiser back in August 2011. The previous owner hit bottom and had a dealer put a SEI outdrive on. In April 2012 I took the boat in for a new throttle cable and they had pointed out that the upper unit gears have some wear which will eventually fail in time. I decided to have them throw on a brand new mercruiser outdrive. Attached are pictures of both the SEI and Mercruiser. The gear wear sure looks pretty similar. Is it pretty normal?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You need to find a Different Marina,....

Which picture is which,..?? they both look Fine to me...

Don S

Which picture is which,..?? they both look Fine to me...
Look at the names of the pictures. Just above the close button. One is Merc, one is SEI

Bondo

Staff member

Look at the names of the pictures. Just above the close button. One is Merc, one is SEI

Duh,.... :facepalm: