Alpha 1 Gen II Trims Up but not Down

SandyBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. Looking for some suggestions for troubleshooting my Alpha 1 Gen II on a 4.3EFI (2001). The outdrive trims up ok (although I think it is slower than it used to be), but won't trim down unless I stand on the leg with the trim down button pressed. The trim pump is running fine, the reservoir is full, battery is fully charged.

FYI last year I replaced the connection plate on the bottom of the drive, where the trim/tilt hoses are connected, but it was working ok after that.

Any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting? I am thinking of disconnecting the rams from the drive to see if they go in and out ok. Any other suggestions welcome.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Alpha 1 Gen II Trims Up but not Down

I'm thinking the rams won't go in by themselves without some weight/pressure to collapse them. If you disconnected the rams, you would be able to see if the outdrive moves up/down freely.

You might want to try cleaning the ram rods with some solvent and then applying a light coating of silicone lubricant . . . then work the outdrive up & down a few times.

Also check for any leaks around the fittings to the ram cylinders, etc.