How long does a starter last?

smokey99

Cadet
Hi Folks,
I am on a tight budget right now but don't want to be silly either.

The engine is out of my boat to replace the oil pan.

The engine is a mercruiser 5.0 L (2003)

The mechanic asked if I want him to change the starter motor while he has the engine out.
The starter has given me no trouble, but if I don't change it, and it does quite, it will probably cost $250 more in labor if when the engine is in the boat (its a beach to get to).

Do I spend the $400 to change it now, or wait and maybe cost me $700 later if it quits,

The boat doesn't get a lot of use. I would estimate it get started 100 times per season I guess in its life around 1000 starts.

Opinions? Spend it now on a tight budget, or later .

How many years would you estimate between starter changes?

Thanks folks
Scott

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: How long does a starter last?

I wouldn't worry about it...

Assuming the boat has been taken care of, 1000 starts (which is more important than calendar age) is not that much. Think of an auto starter and how many cycles it lasts for perspective.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Don't change it. Have the existing one properly overhauled by a proper Auto-sparkie shop, NOT the marine mechanic.

And it'll cost a lot less than $400.. :eek:

Chris....

smokey99

Cadet

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your input.
The biggest problem is access to it.
While the engine is out, its easy, once the motor is back in its a few hours to RE & Re

achris

...The biggest problem is access to it.
While the engine is out, its easy, once the motor is back in its a few hours to RE & Re

Sounds like every boat I've ever worked on....

gm280

Supreme Mariner

There is a place around here that only works on starter solenoids, alternators, generators, and batteries. And they refurbish them with new bearings and brushes for a fraction of new. There is probably a place like that around where you live I'm sure. I would take the starter while the engine is out and find such a place to do that to yours for peace of mind if nothing more. And I can't see how your starter would cost $400 dollars... Of course I’d refurbish my own, but that is just me...

smokey99

Cadet

LOL I guess I was stating the obvious :)
Thanks guys
Scott

smokey99

Cadet

Thanks guys, I told him to put it back in as is.

I appreciate all your input.
Scott

achris

...Do I spend the $400 to change it now, ...

Just looked up your engine and check the price of an OEM starter motor...

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...798.png&inbr=8182&bnbr=10&bdesc=Starter+Motor

That starter motor from Mercury is only $220.... I think I'd be sitting down and having a very serious chat to your mechanic... Then finding a new shop to take the boat to.

I've heard of 'mark-up', but $220 to $400, that's a bit insulting!

Chris.....
BTW. There would be NO extra labour involved to change it while he's replacing the oil pan. The old stater has to be removed to get the oil pan off anyway....

SC_Regal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One question, do you boat in salt or fresh water and where do you store the boat?

I boat in salt water and store my boat on a lift. I change my starter often, as much as once a year ( 2000 5.0) I/O in salt gets expensive.

You can get after market starters for around $80-90. If you boat in salt water I would replace it while you can and save your current starter as a spare. With the engine out of the boat it is a 15 min job at most - don't get hosed on the cost and labor. If you boat in fresh water I would not worry.

smokey99

Cadet

The quote for the starter was actually 332, I am also in Canada, which mean we often get screwed with higher prices
With tax and everything else it will be close to 400.

Just looked up your engine and check the price of an OEM starter motor...

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...798.png&inbr=8182&bnbr=10&bdesc=Starter+Motor

That starter motor from Mercury is only $220.... I think I'd be sitting down and having a very serious chat to your mechanic... Then finding a new shop to take the boat to.

I've heard of 'mark-up', but $220 to $400, that's a bit insulting!

Chris.....
BTW. There would be NO extra labour involved to change it while he's replacing the oil pan. The old stater has to be removed to get the oil pan off anyway....

achris

I boat in salt. The current starter motor is original (2006). My previous engine (now in a friend's boat) is also the original (1994!!!). If you want peace of mind, just have the existing one overhauled. Or buy a genuine one. But $400 from your mechanic is stretching it... He's ripping you off!

smokey99

Cadet

I boat in salt water, and keep in on a trailer.

One question, do you boat in salt or fresh water and where do you store the boat?

I boat in salt water and store my boat on a lift. I change my starter often, as much as once a year ( 2000 5.0) I/O in salt gets expensive.

You can get after market starters for around $80-90. If you boat in salt water I would replace it while you can and save your current starter as a spare. With the engine out of the boat it is a 15 min job at most - don't get hosed on the cost and labor. If you boat in fresh water I would not worry.

tpenfield

Staff member

Since you have limited budget, you may want to start doing some of the maintenance and repairs yourself. So, if the starter were to go in a year or two, you could replace it for about 1/2 the cost of the mechanic.

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am doing mine with a genuine one and it was $199 shipped.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like your real problem is water in the bilge. Keep that starter and oil pan dry!