rear mounts

NHGuy

Captain
Can I change some rear engine mounts on an alpha 1 with a portable ball joint press? Or will it require a "real" floor standing unit?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: rear mounts

What are you doing up so early in the morning?

Rear engine mounts . . . do you mean the bolts/spring washers, etc that holds the engine to the transom assembly?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What are you doing up so early in the morning?

Rear engine mounts . . . do you mean the bolts/spring washers, etc that holds the engine to the transom assembly?

I think he means the rubber mount in the flywheel housing.

I'm not familiar with this 'portable ball joint press', but anything that can press the old mount out and press the new one in will do the job. Don't really understand the question....

Chris........

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... If ya can get a straight shot on it, donno why it wouldn't work,....

Bt Doc made a rear mount press outa threaded rod, 'n pieces of pipe,...
picture of it 'round here somewhere...

achris

Ayuh,.... If ya can get a straight shot on it, donno why it wouldn't work,....

Bt Doc made a rear mount press outa threaded rod, 'n pieces of pipe,...
picture of it 'round here somewhere...

Yep, did a similar sort of thing with some nuts, washers and a long bolt to 'press' in the new style (Alpha and Pre-Alpha :facepalm:) upper shift shaft seal and bushing....

Basically, if it runs straight and you can get enough force on it, use it...

Chris....

tpenfield

Staff member

Maybe a big c-clamp to press it out. . .

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

But once the rubber is removed its easier to drive the ring and shell out. Tried the C clamp route but you MUST have it prefectly straight so I made this. Its relieved to self locate.
IMG_1385.jpg

achris

But once the rubber is removed its easier to drive the ring and shell out. Tried the C clamp route but you MUST have it prefectly straight so I made this. Its relieved to self locate.
IMG_1385.jpg

Nice scene, but there's something fuzzy in the foreground messing the photo up.... :D :D :D

(Just messing wit ya)

NHGuy

Captain

Hi Ted. The bladder woke me up that night and my mind started going, so I did a post.
A ball joint press is easy to move around and can get a good straight shot at the bushing. It's a big c clamp with a hole out the bottom. Plus I can leave the flywheel cover on the motor while I do the job.
It doesn't look corroded, so I don't plan on heating. Seems like heat would be bad for aluminum.
The old ones look fine but I think they have sagged or moved. I have to run my front mounts way down to align the motor with the existing ones.
Does that prompt any other or different steps?

tpenfield

Staff member

Those mounts must be in rough shape to go thru the trouble of replacing them. i assume you have to tilt the engine forward a bit for that?

Has Winni iced out yet ?

Last Fall I was buying my boat up at Merideth Marina . . :)

NHGuy

Captain

I haven't been to Winni in a few weeks, so I don't know if ice is out, but there sure isn't any snow left.
And I will pull the motor to do the mounts. It won't be so bad since I had it out in the fall for a reseal and didn't change em then. I haven't hooked up the wiring and fuel yet, so all I have to do is raise it up.
I don't know when I will get to splash. My interior is out for a recover and it just finally got warm enough to get outside and work. And of course I have to work for my living which drastically cuts into my boat fix up time. I'll be lucky to get the boat wet by the end of May at this rate.