Mercruiser 4.3 wont start

justforfun68

Recruit
Taking my boat out of storage - hasn't been used for the last 2 seasons. Changed the oil, filters and batteries but when I try to start it, I just get a loud knocking sound coming from the starter motor.

I tried to turn the engine over from the main crank and it did turn very slow - as expected...

Any ideas guys?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 wont start

Is the battery fully charged? Sounds a lot like an almost dead battery or loose/corroded connection.

Bondo

Staff member

Taking my boat out of storage - hasn't been used for the last 2 seasons. Changed the oil, filters and batteries but when I try to start it, I just get a loud knocking sound coming from the starter motor.

I tried to turn the engine over from the main crank and it did turn very slow - as expected...

Any ideas guys?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Like Don says, a New battery don't mean a Fully charged battery....

Did ya clean the terminals, 'n wire ends when ya put in the new battery,..??
Everything oughta be Shiny metal Clean,...

Ya might do the same to the Other end of the battery's wires too....
All the connections gotta be good, 'n tight as well,...

makonnen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Loud clunk or loud click? Perhaps a starter solenoid stuck? In addition to the above advice, try give the solenoid / starter motor a tap with the hammer as someone is cranking the engine. Don't crank the engine too long without the starter engaging ... could damage something.

spring1802

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 wont start

I can not find the spark plugs to change them. Boat won't turn over,been sitting for a couple years.Positive battery cable starts to smoke.It is a new battery.I removed distributor cap and traced wires but can not see plugs. Manual doesn't show where

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I can not find the spark plugs to change them. Boat won't turn over,been sitting for a couple years.Positive battery cable starts to smoke.It is a new battery.I removed distributor cap and traced wires but can not see plugs. Manual doesn't show where

Please start a new thread of your own, and not try to hijack someone elses...