new to me 5.7 + Bravo 1 anomalies?

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled the plastic cover off the air intake and was surprised when I didn?t see any kind of ?soft? air cleaner (e.g. paper, foam). Instead it was just a hard metal belt type thing with slats for the air to travel through. Is this right or am I missing something?

Second, is there any chance that the outdrive can be concealing the gear oil someplace? After changing the drive oil in the Fall, I?ve added more oil to get up closer to the top of the reservoir. But when I come back a few days later, the level is down to the rubber belt that holds the reservoir. It?s out of the water (not being run) and isn?t leaking oil (negating the need for a pressure test). The only thing I can think of is that when I drained it for winterization, it drained for a long time and maybe some air got caught up in there. Now it?s slowly coming out. Either that or there?s some sort of overflow. I?m almost up to 2 quarts of lube in there. Anyone?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: new to me 5.7 + Bravo 1 anomalies?

I pulled the plastic cover off the air intake and was surprised when I didn’t see any kind of “soft” air cleaner (e.g. paper, foam). Instead it was just a hard metal belt type thing with slats for the air to travel through. Is this right or am I missing something?

It's a flame arrestor, not an air cleaner like your car. Inside the engine compartment out on the water it normally doesn't get very dusty.

Second, is there any chance that the outdrive can be concealing the gear oil someplace?

It could leak some into the ujoint bellows (pull the drive and check) and if that's not it, it probably has a leak somewhere and needs to have the gear lube drained and the drive pressure checked to find the leak. It may not leak until warmed up and running.

I’m almost up to 2 quarts of lube in there.

Now you have a problem...... Those drives without a gear lube reservoir hold 2 quarts of gear lube. With the reservoir holds 2.8 quarts.
How are you filling the drive? From the bottom up I hope, but it sounds like you may have been running it really low on gear lube.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After changing the drive oil in the Fall, I?ve added more oil to get up closer to the top of the reservoir. But when I come back a few days later, the level is down to the rubber belt that holds the reservoir. It?s out of the water (not being run) and isn?t leaking oil (negating the need for a pressure test). Anyone?

What Don indicated will confirm if the front seal on the drive has failed if you see drive oil in the bellows but how I noticed mine was leaking was exactly how you described where the reservoir was full then coming back a week later it was down to the belt without even running the engine.
Have you looked in the rear of the bilge to see if there is any gear oil there? That's how I discovered it and investigation found oil dripping down and confirmed when the drive was pulled and saw the oil in the bellows.

Mark

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When you changed the gear oil, did you pump it up and in from the drain? If not, you will have air trapped in there.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pumped the first quart in from the outdrive. there was still some lube left in the reservoir. since then I've been adding the lube to the reservoir. The level has never gone below the bottom of the cointainer. Whatever air is in the drive should bubble up to the top and out, right?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Correct procedure for filling the drive is....

Remove the bottom (drain) plug and the top (vent) plug.
Start filling the drive from the bottom hole until oil flows freely and without air from the vent hole.
While still holding the filling bottle on the bottom hole, close the top hole.
Quickly remove the filling bottle from the bottom hole and fit the plug.

As there is still a small pocket of air above the vent plug some oil from the reservoir will flow into it, and the air into the reservoir, but that should only be about 1/2 cup....

If you under fill the drive, you run the risk of damaging the gears and bearings in the top section. The hose between the drive and the reservoir is only 1/4" and the oil/air swap is VERY slow....

Chris.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I pumped the first quart in from the outdrive. there was still some lube left in the reservoir. since then I've been adding the lube to the reservoir.

You only had the drive half full, probably oil in the lower only. So the upper has been basically dry of gear lube. Didn't you notice any different noises, maybe shift funny, or in general didn't feel right? If you had this boat out on the water, it amazed me you didn't destroy the upper already.

If it does somehow survive, here is how you change the oil properly, from the service manual.

View attachment Bravo GL Change.pdf