Broken starter bolt removal gone wrong? Need advice...

dhoylman

Cadet
Greetings,

This is my first post on the forum, after my first boat purchase; 1995 Chaparral 180 SLC, Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha One, Gen II. I purchased the boat a few months ago, and when I first tried to start it, the longer of the two starter boats broke off in the block. This caused the starter motor to shift, and not catch the fly wheel. I purchased a replacement starter bolt from my local Mercruiser dealer, removed the starter and went after the broken bolt. I was using a metal drill bit and bolt remover, and in this process, the bolt did not back out successfully, rather ran up into the block. It didn't fall out, or spin out, it went north and disappeared. Where is it? If loose in the block, could it cause damage to the flywheel or other moving parts near by? If I need to get it out, how do I go about doing that?

Also, I have read that this is a common problem for the 3.0L mercruisers. If I wanted to get a bracket to prevent this from happening, where would I go to find one? I can't seem to find one online anywhere.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Broken starter bolt removal gone wrong? Need advice...

Greetings,

This is my first post on the forum, after my first boat purchase; 1995 Chaparral 180 SLC, Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha One, Gen II. I purchased the boat a few months ago, and when I first tried to start it, the longer of the two starter boats broke off in the block. This caused the starter motor to shift, and not catch the fly wheel. I purchased a replacement starter bolt from my local Mercruiser dealer, removed the starter and went after the broken bolt. I was using a metal drill bit and bolt remover, and in this process, the bolt did not back out successfully, rather ran up into the block. It didn't fall out, or spin out, it went north and disappeared. Where is it? If loose in the block, could it cause damage to the flywheel or other moving parts near by? If I need to get it out, how do I go about doing that?

Also, I have read that this is a common problem for the 3.0L mercruisers. If I wanted to get a bracket to prevent this from happening, where would I go to find one? I can't seem to find one online anywhere.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like it's time to pull the motor, so you can get at the problem,....

If ya can't find a bracket, Build 1,... It's a pretty simple affair...
It just goes from a forward facin' starter bolt, up to the empty hole in the block, at the oil pan rail....

dhoylman

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like it's time to pull the motor, so you can get at the problem,....

If ya can't find a bracket, Build 1,... It's a pretty simple affair...
It just goes from a forward facin' starter bolt, up to the empty hole in the block, at the oil pan rail....

Ok. I don't really have the means to pull the engine. Any other ideas on retrieving the remaining steel from the damaged bolt? Magnet up in there, or leaving it be? Would that damage any moving parts?

Bondo

Staff member

Ok. I don't really have the means to pull the engine. Any other ideas on retrieving the remaining steel from the damaged bolt? Magnet up in there, or leaving it be? Would that damage any moving parts?

Ayuh,... That's where the flywheel is,.... No guarantee, but it's likely to cause problems...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I was using a metal drill bit and bolt remover, and in this process, the bolt did not back out successfully, rather ran up into the block.
This why you use a left handed drill bit.

dhoylman

Cadet

Hindsight. I'm still learning Bruce, again, this is my first boat, and my first problem. I'm going to fish around in there with a magnet and see if I can get it out. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

Bondo

Staff member

Hindsight. I'm still learning Bruce, again, this is my first boat, and my first problem. I'm going to fish around in there with a magnet and see if I can get it out. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

Ayuh,.... There's a tin, or plastic plate held on with 4 or 5 screws, runnin' accross the bottom of the flywheel housin', Up-under, 'n behind the oil pan.....

Pull that plate, 'n ya might find Joy,....

While ya have it off, clip off the little tag-end that interferes with the starter bolt.... ;)

dhoylman

Cadet

I took off the tin, and searched all through the area, using a magnetic pick-up tool and a grabbing tool. I couldn't find anything, other than some metal shavings from drilling out the bolt. I put the muffs on it, and she fired right up. No rattling, no grinding, and it appears after all that searching, from what I could reach in there, that the bolt ended up towards the the base of the block, away from the flywheel. From some I've spoken too, some believe it won't be a problem, others, aren't sure, but from first use, it wasn't an issue.

If you all believe it is a must, I'll get some quotes to pull the engine, but now I'm worried they'll have to take half of it apart to find the bolt and it will cost me. Of course, if it could cause a great deal of damage being loose in there, then it would cost me more.

Let me know what you think, and I'll proceed from there. I found the bracket to bolt the starter to the engine block, I'll have it on there by next week.

D...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a block to look at, nor do I remember where the starter bolt holes lead, but if they open up between the flywheel and the block and the broken bolt is in there I sure wouldn't start the engine before I pulled the flywheel and looked.
I can just imagine what damage that could do with a spinning flywheel and the block.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I don't have a block to look at, nor do I remember where the starter bolt holes lead, but if they open up between the flywheel and the block and the broken bolt is in there I sure wouldn't start the engine before I pulled the flywheel and looked.
I can just imagine what damage that could do with a spinning flywheel and the block.

Wouldn't this be a good place to insert your quote about "why is it we always have time to do a job twice but never the time to do it right the first time?" Grin.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If it were mine, I would take the time to locate and remove any such item from any engine. It seems like it is a huge problem that WILL show its head in the least opportune time. Just imagine you're out on the water far from dock and that small threaded bolt moves and gets caught into any moving part in the motor. Enough said... JMHO... It is Murphy's law just waiting to happen!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Try fishing around the flywheel area with a long peice of plastic of sorts. A cut up bleach bottle comes to mind. Cut a strip out of it and dig around,mabe itll get knocked down to where the magnet gan get at it.good luck,hope ya don't have to pull the motor!
Grub

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

I had this exact issue a few years ago. Using a wire hanger asa template,this is the bracket I crafted and installed. You can buy a piece of flat bar at Lowe's Tractor Supply,McMaster-Carr or various other places.102_0561.jpg

dhoylman

Cadet

Got the bolt out, and the starter bracket I found online doesn't fit perfect, but almost perfect and she's ready to go. Thanks for all the help.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How did you get it out?

dhoylman

Cadet

I took the starter off again and took the broken magnetic pick up tool to fashion a longer more flexible one using a coat hanger. I was prepared to remove the plate surrounding the flywheel, which is a tight reach, but possible, and before I did, I used that newly fashioned magnet, reached in below the flywheel and it was right there. Came right out. So, I put the starter back on, and attached the starter bracket.

I guess I just didn't have the reaching power the first time around, but just a bit more and I was able to get in beneath the flywheel far enough to reach the broken bolt.