Need some help with the ID of a merc out drive

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boat is a 1989 25ft cobia. I need to replace the bellows, seals, and zincs, but need a positive ID on the drive first. I think it is a alpha one gen 1, but not sure. It has a Quicksilver Repower sticker on it, but the serial number on the sticker is long gone.

Here are the pictures. Let me know if you need a different picture for a positive ID.

drive1.jpgdrive3.jpgdrive4.jpgdrive5.jpgdrive2.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need some help with the ID of a merc out drive

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... It sure looks like an Alpha 1,....

The Gen.IIs didn't come out til the early 90s, so it ain't that...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Based on the shape of the top of the housing, and the squared off rear ends of the housings, and the trim ram aft anchor point, the drive is between 1983 and 1990. Making it an 'R', 'MR' or Alpha One. Luckily all the parts you're looking for are the same for all those drives. Based on the year of the boat I would make the call on an Alpha One (like Bond-o did).

Bellows kit (I like this kit because you get a gimbal bearing and the bell housing gasket for 'free') 30-803097T1
Top housing seal kit 26-32511A1
Lower housing seal kit 26-33144A2
Trim Tab (Anode) -31640A1

If you don't already have a proper Merc service manual... -> CLICK HERE

Chris.....

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Based on the shape of the top of the housing, and the squared off rear ends of the housings, and the trim ram aft anchor point, the drive is between 1983 and 1990. Making it an 'R', 'MR' or Alpha One. Luckily all the parts you're looking for are the same for all those drives. Based on the year of the boat I would make the call on an Alpha One (like Bond-o did).

Bellows kit (I like this kit because you get a gimbal bearing and the bell housing gasket for 'free') 30-803097T1
Top housing seal kit 26-32511A1
Lower housing seal kit 26-33144A2
Trim Tab (Anode) -31640A1

If you don't already have a proper Merc service manual... -> CLICK HERE

Chris.....

Thanks for the help.

I was thinking on just just doing the bellows and transom seals (actually having a buddy do everything for me and he has done dozens).

If thats the case, I just need 30-803097T1
and 865436a02 - shift cable
2 qts of outdrive gear oil

Then replace all of the anodes.

Is that correct?

achris

Thanks for the help.

I was thinking on just just doing the bellows and transom seals (actually having a buddy do everything for me and he has done dozens).

If thats the case, I just need 30-803097T1
and 865436a02 - shift cable
2 qts of outdrive gear oil

Then replace all of the anodes.

Is that correct?

There is only one anode on these drives, the trim tab.... Other than that, yes, all correct.

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is only one anode on these drives, the trim tab.... Other than that, yes, all correct.

I think there is another anode on the outdrive near the transom. Should i go with aluminum or magnesium for use in Lake Michigan? Also, since I have cable with power steering, I think Im supposed to use the flat trim tab anode instead of the one with the skeg on it. Any opinions?

By the way - you guys are awesome!

achris

I think there is another anode on the outdrive near the transom. Should i go with aluminum or magnesium for use in Lake Michigan? Also, since I have cable with power steering, I think Im supposed to use the flat trim tab anode instead of the one with the skeg on it. Any opinions?

By the way - you guys are awesome!

Quite right. For the later models they had a block anode over the small hydraulic hose manifold, part# -43994A2. I believe Merc put out a service bulletin about anodes quite some time back, and all Merc anodes now are made of the same material, fresh- or salt-water use.

Use the flat anode only if you have the later style power steering unit (called 'non-feedback'), which you do not.

Chris.....

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quite right. For the later models they had a block anode over the small hydraulic hose manifold, part# -43994A2. I believe Merc put out a service bulletin about anodes quite some time back, and all Merc anodes now are made of the same material, fresh- or salt-water use.

Use the flat anode only if you have the later style power steering unit (called 'non-feedback'), which you do not.

Chris.....

How do you tell if you have a non feedback power steering unit? My current trim anode is the flat version.

Bondo

Staff member

How do you tell if you have a non feedback power steering unit? My current trim anode is the flat version.

Ayuh,.... Just the fact that is has P/Steerin' is a No feed-back system.... ;)

achris

Ayuh,.... Just the fact that is has P/Steerin' is a No feed-back system.... ;)

Not quite true. The first generation power steering units still needed the trim tab, as it was still possible for steering torque to be put back up the line to the steering wheel.

attachment.php

These are the second generation units. Not the lack of external tubes and the vertical entry points for the hoses.

attachment.php

That's how you tell the difference. And the second generation didn't come out until the Gen II drives, about 1991.
If you want the flat tab, then the part number is -76214A5

Chris.....

Attachments

• PS gen II.jpg
    PS gen II.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PS gen I.jpg
    PS gen I.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 0