99' Mercruiser Alpha One, Gen 2 Trim issue.

gator850

Recruit
Hey everyone, I have a 99' Merc alpha one, gen 2. This past winter when I was winterizing it, I took it to the lake to run it and get the oil heated up. When I went to trailer it to bring it home, I got an awful noise from my trim motor that I had never heard before in the 10+ years I've owned it. Everything works fine, the unit goes up and down with no issue. Its just making a noise as if it's struggling badly. Through my research I've read that it could be water in the fluid, but I've checked and no water or "milk". Also I read that where the trim cylinders mount to the lower unit could be corroded and causing the pump to have to work harder. By everything that I can see, that's not the case either. They say that these pumps will outlast the boats, hope that's the case. I'm kind of at a loss now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 99' Mercruiser Alpha One, Gen 2 Trim issue.

the bronze bushings do wear out and can cause binding.take the unit or just the motor to a starter/alt place.

gator850

Recruit

Ok, I'll take a look at those. Thanks for the advice

cr2k

Captain

"They say that these pumps will outlast the boats, hope that's the case." rofl! Not quite.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

"They say that these pumps will outlast the boats, hope that's the case." rofl! Not quite.

I'm on my 25th year with a twin engine application and both pumps are still going strong.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If it's a howling type noise or a squealing, then it sounds like a trim ram end cap.... Seen it MANY times....

Read THIS... You're not yet at the 'standing on the drive to make it go down' stage, but you're on the way.... :D