cant get my lower drive back on. turning propellor drive but turning the upper shaft.

agaldamez

Seaman
First time changing impeller, trying to put lower drive back in and it wont go in all the way. trying to turn propellor shaft but it wont turn water impeller shaft.

please help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: cant get my lower drive back on. turning propellor drive but turning the upper sh

What are we working on exactly?

agaldamez

Seaman
Re: cant get my lower drive back on. turning propellor drive but turning the upper sh

trying to put gear housing back in but the drive shaft will not go in. trying to turn propellor shaft to have it slip in, but its not turning when i turn the propellor shaft.

agaldamez

Seaman

Sorry I am new at this. Will try to explain again.

took off my lower unit to replace my impeller.

all seemed good until i tried to put back the lower unit with the upper unit.

seems the drive shaft is not matching up with the splines. i read to turn the propeller shaft to turn the drive shaft.

well when i turn the propeller shaft , the drive shaft does not turn and the shift shaft clicks.

now my trim is stuck up and wont come down!!!!

just hoping for some help

eavega

Lieutenant

What are we working on exactly?

I think K Don S is inquiring as to what motor/outdrive you are working on...

Don S

What outdrive, what year? Serial numbers if possible.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

First off, we need to know what drive you are working on... MC-1, R, MR, Alpha One, Alpha One Gen II, Bravo 1/2/3, TR, TRS...

Clicking shift shaft? You're turning the prop the wrong way.

Chris........

agaldamez

Seaman

alpha 1 gen2
drive serial number 0M4448304

achris

...now my trim is stuck up and wont come down!!!!..

Probably because you have corroded trim ram end-caps and they are holding the drive up because of the lack of weight from the lower unit not being installed....

Chris.....

Don S

On the drive, turn the shift shaft clockwise while turning the prop CCW. The drive will catch and you will feel it. If you turn the prop CW even a little bit the shift shaft will not be facing forward any more. Some use a bungy cord to hold the prop in a CCW position.
Then with the helm shift control in forward, lift the drive up into position and turn the prop further CCW to line up the splines. You also have to line up the water tube for the raw water pump at the same time.

Why first timers need to remove the complete drive from the boat to see how it all goes together.

You still need to pull the upper for other maintenance.

agaldamez

Seaman

when i turn the prop ccw it is very difficult, using all my strength. the drive shaft turns, but very slowly.

Should it be this way? did i do something wrong?

achris

when i turn the prop ccw it is very difficult, using all my strength. the drive shaft turns, but very slowly.

Should it be this way? did i do something wrong?

Yes. No.

agaldamez

Seaman

go lower gear unit back in, not difficult once a realized how to turn the propeller.

i got it up, tried my trim to lower it and still will not lower, not sure what to look for with that?

put the lower drive back in in forward gear and it fit perfect. but when i got done, when it is in forward and iturn the prop it make a vibrating noise. and i notice the shift shaft moving around.

i know i did something wrong with the shift shaft any suggestions.

Don S

but when i got done, when it is in forward and iturn the prop it make a vibrating noise. and i notice the shift shaft moving around.

Is the shift shaft from the lower unit fitting up into the shift shaft in the bellhousing?

i got it up, tried my trim to lower it and still will not lower, not sure what to look for with that?

If it goes up and not down, it's probably just a solenoid, but here is the troubleshooting guide for the trim, should lead you to the problem.

View attachment A1G2 Trim Troublelshooting.pdf

agaldamez

Seaman

Well i have it back in but it is making a clanking noise when it is in forward or reverse. Moves freely in neutral.
I youtube it and found this video. mine is sounding just like this.

Is this ok???
Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2 Outdrive - YouTube

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is making the clicking sound when the shifter is in forward and you spin the prop clockwise that is correct; it should also be locked and not move if you try and turn prop counter clockwise with the shifter in forward.

Likewise if the shifter is in reverse and you turn the proper ccw you should hear the clicking and the prop should be locked and not move if you try and turn the prop cw.

No sound in neutral is good.

Mark

agaldamez

Seaman

thanks mark, thanks to everyone who helped.