3.0l Motor turns over but wont start

jimbo1229

Seaman
Re: 3.0l Motor turns over but wont start

ok so I bought 2 belts and will do what you guys said and zip tie one inside the mount. The question I have is the spacer issue it seems to rub on it, is this common?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ok so I bought 2 belts and will do what you guys said and zip tie one inside the mount. The question I have is the spacer issue it seems to rub on it, is this common?

No, it's not common, and it shouldn't hit the spacer.
A couple common problems that causes it to hit.
1. You need the right belt, if it's too long, it will hit the spacer.
2. It has to be tight or it will bounce and hit the spacer.

jimbo1229

Seaman

hey don i got a 7410 gates belt (41 5/8" x 13/32"), this is what the book recommends. it still seems to rub ever so slighty, also how do you clean the alternator pulley? Do you some how remove it or just clean it and paint it on the alt. I cant seem to get the nut off to remove it

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Usually to get that nut off you have to remove the alternator, strip it and then hold the rotor in a vise and remove the nut. Best just clean and paint it in-situ.

Chris......

Don S

hey don i got a 7410 gates belt (41 5/8" x 13/32"), this is what the book recommends.

What "Book" are you looking at? I just looked at the OEM parts program and they list a Mercruiser number, not a gates number, and neither is 41 5/8 long, one is 41 and the other is 40.
Do you have a 1 or 3 groove pulley on your circulation pump pulley? A serial number for your engine might help too. I just used the 90-94 3.0L program, so I may be wrong.

jimbo1229

Seaman

Boat Serial number is D835961, sorry I shouldn't have said book I should have said guy at the counter lol. The book he was reading. Its a single groove pulley, the belt I pulled off had the same numbers I listed above so maybe the previous owner had the wrong belt too.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That serial number comes back as a 4.3 litre V6... ????

Don S

Boat Serial number is D835961, sorry I shouldn't have said book I should have said guy at the counter lol. The book he was reading. Its a single groove pulley, the belt I pulled off had the same numbers I listed above so maybe the previous owner had the wrong belt too.

The Merc PN is 57-64032Q1 for your belt. It's 41 in. long.
On the 3.0L, that's all it takes to hit the spacer.

That is the belt for all 3.0L engines from 90 to 94. You should still get your SN right, that is the one thing you need when looking up OEM parts. Once you get the proper OEM part number, you can convert it to aftermarket.

jimbo1229

Seaman

chris thats the number plate thats rivoted to my motor and it sure isnt a v6 lol

Don S

Check the number again. Chris has a dealer program and so do I, both are different years and both show that number is a V6.
I also went to the OEM site and it's the same.

43l.jpg

You can also go to the OEM site your self at https://webapps.brunswick.com/literature/literatureSearch.do and type the serial number in yourself

jimbo1229

Seaman

ill post a pic I took with my phone, that's so weird, its the right number. but ill defiantly get the belt you recommened cuz im sure it will fit better than the one I have now. 5/8 I guess would make a big difference when you have so lil room for error

Don S

I was playing with different numbers in your serial number and if you use 0D835361, it comes up a 3.0L engine. Chanced the 9 to a 3 the stamps can be hard to read some times. Still the same belt what ever it is.