3.0l Motor turns over but wont start

jimbo1229

Seaman
well im stumped i have a 1992 3.0l mercruiser. it ran like a champ before i did a tune up, now it wont start. so i put everything back the way i had it when it started and now it wont start. im so confused i checked all the plugs plenty of spark and brand new battery. the motor will turn over just about to start and then just continue to crank. please help thank you:mad-new::confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0l Motor turns over but wont start

Gonna need an engine serial number and what type ignition system you have. Points, EST, or DDIS?

jimbo1229

Seaman

hi don it is a cap and rotor DEI system. For the serial number ill have to do some digging the guy i bought the boat from didnt have a owners manual and the air filter cover spec plate serial number is to faded to read. i do know its a 1992 beachcraft made by reinell

Don S

Boat year and engine year is not always the same. Not uncommon to have a year older engine than what the boat is.

You said cap and rotor, not sure what DEI is, but here is some info on the EST which is what you probably have if you don't have points.

View attachment 3.0 EST timing.pdf

jimbo1229

Seaman

thanx don ill start with this and go from there, but why would it run just fine before i did the tune up and then not. would timing get messed up that easy?

Fun Times

Staff member

What did your tune up consist of exactly?

jimbo1229

Seaman

plugs,cap and rotor and oil chnage. like i said then when it wouldnt work we went back to all the orignal stuff that was on there when it started up with one turn of the key and still nothing. i also forgot to mention that i try to do this in neutral but as soon as i give it a lil throttle it completely shuts off. the circuit breaker isnt tripped and it ran not more than 30 mins prior to changing everything
Also i am getting plenty of spark and it pumps fuel into the carb when i move the shifter forward.
i have been researchn and seeing some people mentioning a shift interupt?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Spark plug leads on in the right order?

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had to ask. What about the cap on properly, and the rotor on (not sitting on the floor somewhere)? Silly questions I know, but we've all done it.

You got that right! :)

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got that right! :)
Jimbo, just to clarify why I wrote that. Have the same motor as you, ran fine in the fall. Removed the plugs a few weeks ago to shoot some oil into the cylinders. I reversed the wires to #3 & #4 cylinders and could barley get it running and when it did it ran like a you know what.
Good luck hope you figure out what happened soon and it works out in the end.
James

Don S

i also forgot to mention that i try to do this in neutral but as soon as i give it a lil throttle it completely shuts off. the circuit breaker isnt tripped

I take it you haven't discovered the throttle only button in the control yet. Push the button in and push the shift lever forward and you will be out of gear.

jimbo1229

Seaman

hey guys haven't had a chance to work on it yet, its been pouring here
Achris yes everything is hooked up and in place.
Jimmy ill check that again and again lol.
Don for some reason I cant push that it and sometimes when I put the throttle forward it will get stuck and I have to reach up under and jiggle it but still cant the throttle only button to go in?!!?

jimbo1229

Seaman

OK GUYS SO I FIGURED IT OUT, the boat is just a pain in the as to start lol, but i did notice im getting to much fuel into my carb. For some when i go to start it theres always to much fuel in the carb that drips into the bowl. I took it out today and after running it for a while like 20 mins on the water it still hestitated to start everytime. Then when would give it throttle it would hesitate. Im assuming that this is all being caused by a bad carb. Any suggestions would help thanx guys.

Don S

Don for some reason I cant push that it and sometimes when I put the throttle forward it will get stuck and I have to reach up under and jiggle it but still cant the throttle only button to go in?!!?

That is sure something you need to fix, or replace the control. That is really needed on the 3.0l engines for starting and warm up.

I took it out today and after running it for a while like 20 mins on the water it still hestitated to start everytime.

That could be partially due to your control problems, could also be carb problem. Possibly a leaking needle valve letting the fuel flow into the carb after it's shut off.

jimbo1229

Seaman

ok don so i figured out why the controls were getting stuck, it was the previous owner wired some speakers and the wiring was getting caught under the runner padding and controls. But as for the starting and hesitating issue i think it has to due with the carb. ive been reading alot of posts on here with the same issue and its due to the carb and or the accelator pump in the carb. Guess ill have to find a rebuild kit and get to work.
Also i smoked a belt today any suggestions or links on how to prevent and fix this problem?

Don S

Also i smoked a belt today any suggestions or links on how to prevent and fix this problem?

Bet money the pulleys are rusty. Clean them up, prime and paint with a good paint (Rustoleme works great) let it dry for a couple days so it fully cures and the belts should last a long time.

When you do the carb, also make sure there isn't any water in the fuel tank, and install a water separating fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump. Change the filter in the fuel pump too.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

To install a new belt (and I STRONGLY suggest you run a second belt in as a spare), support the front of the engine, and then remove ONLY the spacer on the port side of the front mount (just below the alternator). Run the new belt in (and the spare) and re-install the spacer. Tie the spare belt back so it doesn't rub on anything... Now you have a new belt on AND peace of mind... :D

Chris.......

jimbo1229

Seaman

awesome thanx guys i will be doing this tommorow and be getting her back on the water asap, but achris i will say i did notice that the belt seems to rub against the spacer a little, should i take a grinder and grind a notch out? or get a longer belt?

Don any suggestions on what grit of sandpaper would work best on the pulleys?