1996 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Loss of Power Issue

kylebangs

Recruit
Hello all I am new to this forum and have read other threads with successive help but I have a few more questions and a possible diagnosis from someone. I am in Fort Collins CO and recently we took my boat down to lake havasu, the boat started up and it ran for about 5 minutes no problem and then was run at full throttle wide open for about another five when it started to loose power and then died. once it died some smoke initially was coming from the carb, after a carb clean no more smoke came out. when we took it back out the next day it would not get up on plane and a ticking noise started. some white smoke would come from the exhuast at startup but I wouldnt see it again after that. The oil is also clean with no water in it and the level has not raised in it at all. what I have found out so far my possibilities are a craked block, cracked head. although i hope not likely due to the oil not having water in it. a stuck valve? low compression? or a rich carb setting due to the lower elevation? sorry for the long post but the help would be greatly appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1996 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Loss of Power Issue

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... My guess is, the fuel filters are plugged with Crap, causin' a lean condition, 'n detonation...

Change the filter in the fuel pump, 'n the other 1 in the carb, 'n Try it...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Can you please tell us what engine you have. It's a bit difficult to diagnose a problem without knowing what were all talking about.

1996 is the year of the boat, and 'Alpha One' is the drive.... We need the engine and it's serial number.

Thank you.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

did you monitor the engine temp during this?? overheat??

when was the last full tune-up??

kylebangs

Recruit

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I knew I was forgetting something, the motor is a 5.7 v8 thunderbolt ignition I am not sure on the serial number and I can get it after work. I will definitely try that with the fuel filters and let you know what happens! I was watching the temp and it did not get hot at anytime, what might that indicate with the symptoms I'm seeing?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I knew I was forgetting something, the motor is a 5.7 v8 thunderbolt ignition I am not sure on the serial number and I can get it after work. I will definitely try that with the fuel filters and let you know what happens! I was watching the temp and it did not get hot at anytime, what might that indicate with the symptoms I'm seeing?

How old is your water separating fuel filter? Do you replace it yearly as suggested? Do you check the contents of the old filter to see if there is water in the fuel?
When was the last full tuneup? Might want to do a compression test and post the results as well.

kylebangs

Recruit

I am not sure how old that filter is or where it is exactly so I can check it and change it? I just had the oil, out drive oil and water impeller changed but past that not much else, I've had the boat for a year now. How do you do a compression test on it, I couldn't figure out how to get down to the spark plugs and get that cap off to do a compression test.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

I am not sure how old that filter is or where it is exactly so I can check it and change it?

You should be looking for a white canister filter usually located close to the fuel pump.

How do you do a compression test on it, I couldn't figure out how to get down to the spark plugs and get that cap off to do a compression test.

Here is a video of how to do a compression check. Not the same engine but it will give you an idea where to start.

kylebangs

Recruit

Perfect I will definitely look for that and check that. Thanks for the post on that video I'll watch that and get after it as well.

kylebangs

Recruit

As I mentioned earlier there is still that ticking noise. Any idea of what that is? Possible blown exhaust manifold gasket?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Possible blown exhaust manifold gasket?

possibly, yes - but nobody here can hear it or inspect your engine

as suggested, do the full tune-up including fuel filters and a compression test, if the ticking continues we can go from there