140 Mercruiser sat 2 yrs, having starter issues.

bgchecker

Cadet
Hello, I have read a lot of the forums out here and there is some really great information that has helped me along the way so I decided to join! I recently got a boat from a buddy that has sat for a couple yrs. It is a 140 mercuiser, I believe 1986. I have removed all the spark plugs and put some tranny fluid in each. Since that I have been able to manually turn the motor using the alternator nut and pressing on the belt. The motor moves freely. However, when I crank the starter, I can hear the start click but wont spin. I have plenty of power to the starter. Bad Starter? Also what really confuses me is once I try the starter the motor freezes up on me. I can get it free spining again, but it requires some muscle. Why would this be? I appreciate any assistance as I would love to get my family out on this boat this summer.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 140 Mercruiser sat 2 yrs, having starter issues.

For the clicking, assuming it's electrical read this thread HOW TO: Troubleshooting your engines starting system?/ 167035

Pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over with the starter (after that problem is fixed) and see if you still have a lot of ATF still in the cylinders or maybe water.

bgchecker

Cadet

Thanks Don! I was able to follow that link and found the start was shot. Since then I placed a new starter in and the motor turns over just fine. My next step was to check to see if I could get any spark from the plugs. I had my wife turn the key and I grounded the plug, no spark. I tried all 4 plugs and plug wires. I pulled the dist cap and checked out the rotor, no noticable corrosion or damage. I do not have the alternator wires hooked up yet as I needed to disconnect, thats not the problem is it? Could it be something else, or should I replace the cap and rotor? Thanks again! Also I drained the oil and replaced, old oil had no water in it.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Follow the link Don gave you and it would not hurt to have all electrical connection hooked up, clean and tight to properly diagnose your issues.

cr2k

Captain

If it has points ignition it's a sure bet they are corroded/rusted. You should do a complete tune up, points, condenser, cap and rotor along with new plugs.

Wouldn't even try to start a boat that sat for that long without a tune up.

bgchecker

Cadet

Thank you all, I was able to get spark by replacing plugs, cap, rotor, points and condenser. I have also performed a compression test and am right around 150-160 on all cylinders. My next step is to take the carb off for a cleaning, then to hook the drive up and give it a test......as soon as all this snow in MN goes away! Thanks again, Matt.