Mercruiser 228 - Bellows replacement

jordache16

Cadet
I have an '82 Century Sport 2000 with a Mercruiser 228 (pre-alpha type 'R' I believe) and am looking into replacing all the bellows on the outdrive. Just a little background, I bought the boat a year and a half ago with a frozen block so I had the engine out last Winter to rebuild it with a new block (this is a family boat so I know much of its history and there is some sentimental value there, otherwise I wouldn't have messed with it). I knew she took on water when I bought it and when I pulled the engine I found that both exhaust elbows (I think that is what they are called) were almost completely disconnected from the Y-pipe. Well that was one major leak that I fixed but last Summer after getting everything back together I found that she was still taking on a little bit of water so finding/fixing the leak has been on my winter todo list. The few times I left her out on the water over night there would be a few gallons or more to pump out the next morning (I didn't sleep very well those few nights that I had to leave her on the dock knowing that she leaked).

Well a couple weeks ago I got around to filling her up with water, just hoping that it wasn't the Y-pipe again. I was fairly confident that it wasn't the Y-pipe but really wasn't sure what else it could have been. It took quite a bit of water before I finally found out where the leak was coming from. The water level got up to above the bottom of the oil pan, well above where the Y-pipe connection was so that made me feel a little better but it still wasn't leaking anywhere. I was about ready to turn off the water and that's when I noticed it was starting to leak out somewhere. When I pin pointed where it was coming from I thought, "duh, that makes sense... the shift cable bellow". The shift cable bellow was pretty cracked and beat up, I wouldn't be surprised if was the original. I didn't even think of replacing all the bellows last Winter when I had everything apart. So good news is, I found the leak, but now I have to tear the outdrive off again.

Well I went ahead and ordered a whole new bellows kit for the outdrive; u-joint, exhaust, and shift cable bellow but this leads me to my questions. I decided not to order a gimble bearing (not just yet anyways) as I wan't to inspect the existing one to determine whether or not it needs replaced. So first question is how exactly do I go about checking to see if the current gimble bearing is OK? Do you basically just check for any play and make sure it spins freely?

Second question is, can anyone here who has replaced the bellows on this type of outdrive before comment on how difficult of a job this is and/or possibly provide any tips? This will be my first time replacing the bellows so I am not sure what to expect. Also, is there anything else I should look for and/or replace (aside the gimble bearing) while I have everything off?

Thanks in advance.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser 228 - Bellows replacement

First question... Do you have a copy (either hard or soft) of the Mercruiser genuine service manuals? Seloc and Clymer are NOT service manuals... If not, supply the serial numbers for the engine and drive and I'll post links to the appropriate manuals. As you have stated the boat is 1982 and the 'R' drive didn't start until 1983, I will need those numbers. Very often the year of the engine and the year of the boat are different. Which is why we ask for serial numbers, not year.

Once you have those read through the instructions on replacing the bellows. It's not a difficult job, but it will take time. Do EXACTLY as instructed and in the right order and you can't go too far wrong. Also a tip.... Probably too late now.... Use OEM bellows, much easy to put on, and you will need the exhaust bellows expanding tool. Either buy one or (as I did) use the instruction I found on this site to make your own.

Chris........

jordache16

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I do not have the genuine Mercruiser service manuals, those would definitely be nice to get a hold of. My boat is currently in storage 3 hours away so I'll have to wait to post the serial numbers until I head back to work on it (probably 2-3 weeks). I do have the casting number for the block if that helps any: 460777. From my understanding this makes the engine a '78 or '79 and this matches up with when the 228 would have been manufactured ('77-82 based on this: Outdrive Identification).

I do have the Seloc online manual which has been somewhat helpful in the past and does have some information about replacing the bellows but from my past experience the Seloc manual definitely leaves quite a bit to be desired.

jordache16

Cadet

Thanks a ton. The Mercruiser service manual is so much better than the online Seloc manual.

After reading through the steps for replacing the bellows there are two tools mentioned that I don't have; the hinge pin tool and the bellows expansion tool. I am going to order the hinge pin tool for sure but I am not sure if I really need the bellows expansion tool (especially since it is $40+). I know this has been brought up before on the forums but based on the service manual it sounds like the expansion tool is only needed for the exhaust bellows. Maybe someone with more experience can provide some input here but it is my understanding that there is not much benefit with replacing the exhaust bellows to begin with as it really doesn't matter if there are cracks/holes in it. If this is the case, and the expansion tool is only needed for the exhaust bellows then I will probably skip ordering the bellows expansion tool.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know this has been brought up before on the forums but based on the service manual it sounds like the expansion tool is only needed for the exhaust bellows. Maybe someone with more experience can provide some input here but it is my understanding that there is not much benefit with replacing the exhaust bellows to begin with as it really doesn't matter if there are cracks/holes in it. If this is the case, and the expansion tool is only needed for the exhaust bellows then I will probably skip ordering the bellows expansion tool.

Exhaust bellows is not as critical as the ujoint or shift cable bellows if you get a hole but would want to make sure it does not rip apart and tear into something else.

Here is a link in Don's stickies on making your own tool:
http://forums.iboats.com/non-repair-i-o-inboards/mercruiser-exhaust-bellows-tool-plans-540054.html

Mark