Alpha one gen II lower drive carrier nut removal?

I just got my tool to remove the lower carrier nut and I soaked it down with PB blaster and let it sit a half a hour and tried loosening it and man it won't budge! any secret to removing it??

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Alpha one gen II lower drive carrier nut removal?

Ran into the same thing when I did my Bravo 3 last year.
PB blaster, along with other mixtures I tried did not help.

-I ended up laying it on its side.
-Had my 165 pound son sit on the top part
-Then with the tool about straight up, pulled it while pushing the lower part of the drive with my feet. On about the 3rd try it loosened.
If the tool wasn't about straight up, it sure didn't want to budge. Probably something to do with leverage.
Edit: just remembered that I did have something over the end of the long breaker bar for added leverage.
I believe it was an extension of a floor jack.

Mark

Last edited:

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I just got my tool to remove the lower carrier nut and I soaked it down with PB blaster and let it sit a half a hour and tried loosening it and man it won't budge! any secret to removing it??

heat...or sometimes you have to drill and chisel them out due to being corroded in place

the real treat is getting the carrier out if its corroded in place too

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Another "Trick" for stuck fasteners is,...

Get the wrench loaded up with a cheater bar, 'n have it held by someone, with rags to insulate his hands, 'n Pull...
Then somebody else Wacks the wrench in the proper direction with a BFHammer, Bigger the Better...

Sort of a Redneck Impact Wrench,....

It works, but the guy pullin' on the wrench is gonna Feel it....

I'd think you'd get the best mechanical advantage with the drive on it's portside, 'n down pressure on the skeg...

Drench it in the PB, 'n lightly tappin' around it on the outer housin', might also help abit...
Depends on how Badly it's corroded...

Funny thing is it is not corroded, I re-sprayed it tonight with some more PB and gave it a few taps around the housing so hopefully that will further loosen it up overnight. Hopefully that works!!